A Night on the Town

So with Midnight back, Batman let me come with him to do patrol, and We had to bring Robin or he would get himself into trouble back home, or jump ship trying to fine who-knows-what. Though for me nothing had changed, I had just slept through the night, a lot had changed for Batman and Robin. The system didn't change, but the problems did.

Midnight, "What ever happened to the gang at the south docs that would only hit up the odd numbers?"

Robin, "We took care of them while you were gone, now there is a venom supply we've been trying to stop. They are not to be underestimated."

Midnight, 'Ok, note to self only talk to Batsy not the little bird.' It sounded like there was some reply of a confused ok. I shook the thought from my head. "So Bats, what else has happened while I was gone?" There had to be more.

Batman, "not much else," though we were all at different place around Gotham I could almost feel like he was looking at something he didn't like. "You are supposed to be in the north-east part of town, what are you doing down here?"

Midnight, "What?!" I was, I had been going from roof to roof following the waters edge, staying away from anyplace too far into Gotham. Batman was just south of the central part. "I am, I just passed warehouse 13 by the water's edge."

Batman, "Midnight come here, Robin continue your patrol, find me when your done."

Robin, "Yes, Father."

I started swinging and jumping from roof to roof, "Why? What's the problem." He didn't answer, but he didn't need to I saw it. It looked like me in full costume but very untrained. The poser didn't have a bow or cat either. "Hey Blurr what do you think that is?" Detaching herself from my shoulder and jumping to the ground she meowed and started after the imposter. "Blurr thinks she knows who is dressed like me, though in bad costume. It doesn't even look to fit her right."

Batman swung in next to me as Blurr was catching up with imposter. He looked at me, and we chased her, she didn't realize us until I got ahead of her and stopped her. She turned around. "Who are you?" Batman didn't waste any time asking her something.

"I, um, I, well," she had no idea what she was doing.

Batman, "Where did you get that?" he looked at her clothes.

"I, um, I got them from my Daddy's basement, and, I found a tunnel, it, it was filled with a lot of bats, and it came out someplace over there." she wrestled with the capes and pointed where one of the car entrances was.

He looked at me, I shook my head, 'I didn't tell her anything, at least she hasn't made the connection.' another fuzzy response but easier to understand 'you told me he had a secrets is this the connection?' It hit me, Kayla and I had the twin connection. I mentally hit myself in the head. "Batman can I talk to you." I motioned away from Kayla. "I swear I didn't tall her anything, but I think she might have figured it out. I think we have a twin connection. I may have told her just by thinking about it. I'm sorry" I tried to keep it as quite as I could. "So either we tell her or mind wipe. I'm not a fan of the last one."

He nodded back at me and turned on his com. "Robin meet us at the Batcave."

His response, "Yes Father."

Midnight, "Can he say anything other than that?"

Batman gave me a reproachful look. "Girl come her." He couldn't say her name yet. "What is your name?"

She looked between me and him, I got a mental message first, 'I like the name Midnight for you.' I shook her out of my head. "I'm, uh, my name is Darkness."

Batman, "No it's not, what is your real name?"

Kayla, 'please let him accept me, tell Daddy to let me stay.' "I am Darkness, I can do this. I want to help you."

I looked at him, we weren't going to get anywhere tonight.

Batman, "Come with me." She nodded and smiled like an idiot.

Kayla 'thank you thank you thank you!'

Me, 'I did nothing, I can only help you so much, now as much as I like you get out of my head.'

I felt my skull tingle a little. 'Well I'm never going to get use to that.'

There was a message from Robin, "Father there is a problem here. A door is open."

The door Kayla came through, I hope she hasn't been out long enough for someone to go in.

Batman, "Midnight get her taken care of, I will give the explanation. Robin call Batgirl, tell her to get here as fast as she can.

I nodded, the same response came from Robin, "Come on Darkness, I don't know how much he will like what you did after this, I can only do so much for you."

She hugged me, "Thank you thank you thank you! Where does Daddy want me?"

I shook my head, "While out here, call him Batman, I am Midnight, we have no other name out here, and you are going back to bad, probably with me after I help Bats and Robin."

She was looking for approval, "But I can help, Please let me help!"

Midnight, "Look I would love to have you help me, but Bats is right you need a lot of training before you are ready for our life, just trust me on this, go to bed for now and we will fix this tomorrow."

She looked sad, but still had hope I will never understand, "OK."

Midnight, "And take that off before you go upstairs. And how did you find the cave?"

Darkness, "I saw Alfred come out of a hole in the wall, when he left I went into it."

I laughed, "I would have found it out that way, he normally is better than that." We had gotten to a different 'door' to the cave. I put my hand on the wall and put in a code, Darkness just looked at it with awe as the  wall pulled back to a dark hallway. "Go here, put that back where you found it and go to bed. I should be back in an hour or two." She nodded and ran and danced down the hall. 'There is no way Daddy can say no to her'

'I know.' smug voice.

'To bed!'  my skull vibrated again. 'never going to get use to that'

Authors note: so yes now not only is she living with her family, she is taking on the family business. So many wonderful things I promise next time I will have the YJ team back and try to get a little less focus on Karra and Kayla. Thank you for your patience,

Stay Whelmed :)