Captured?

The Team had gone back to the Cave and reported what had happened to Batman. Including the capture of Midnight. He was now yelling at the Team, "You already lost another person! Her first mission and you let her get captured! In every single mission you did on the Kaznia case you had to plan another rescue mission! Couldn't you do one mission without losing a person! Just once!"

Nightwing, "She told us to go, she said she would follow us. And you told us to listen to her, we had to go along."

Batman's signature glare was focused hard on Tigress. He lightened up just enough to think rationally, "Get her out of there, I know care how you do it, just DO IT. And don't lose anybody else this time. Batman Out."

It took two days to formulate a plan to get Midnight out of Black Manta's base.

The Team stood in silence for some time before they were going to head out, during the two days Batman was hard on them. They didn't have a single mission or even a hint of one. The other members there were not happy that Midnight got captured but were much better than Batman. Right before they were about to leave one of the Zeta Tubes came on, everyone turned to look to see who was coming through.

"Recognized B 27 Midnight, Recognized C 03 Blurr"

Everyone stared as the light faded, Midnight had lost her outer cape the rest of her outfit was torn and tattered, she didn't even have the black heeled booties, her feet were bare, her hood was only a bare thing of cloth that covered her eyes. Her skin was bleeding all over and her left hand looked maimed as did her right foot, making it hard to walk. Stooping over and holding her cat she seamed almost, weak and human. The cat had lost bits and parts of fur all over, the once slick body was now ugly and almost deformed. Midnight looked up at the Team, when she tried to walk forward her feet would barely move, so she started to fall on her face.

Kid Flash and Impulse speed over and held her up, Kid Flash, "Whoa there lets get you to med bay."

M'gann flew over, "I got the cat, you get her help."

Nightwing, "I'm calling Batman. He'll want to know she got back."

Impulse, "Hey, Midnight, can you hear me? Can you talk?"

Midnight only was able to groan out what seamed like 'help' while Blurr was continuously meowing and hissing.

M'gann, "She doesn't want to leave Midnight, come on she needs help."

Nightwing had puled up a video communication with the Batcave, "Hey Batman come in, it's Nightwing."

Batman, "What do you need Nightwing?"

Nightwing, "Midnight came back, she zeta-ed in from Bludhaven. When she got here she passed out, she's in Med-bay now, but, she didn't look too good. Neither did the cat for that matter. It looks like she fought her way out and lost a lot of that battle."

Batman, "I coming." He seamed worried but more than that his normal demeanor was completely gone and he was... upset wasn't the right word, not mad. There was something else, scared maybe. This was the first time Dick had ever seen The Batman shown genuine emotion, more than when he took him in when Dick's parents were killed at the hand's of Two-Face. Nightwing didn't like seeing Batman like this it was so NOT WHELMING.

The Zeta tube powered on again with the unknown coordinates of the Batcave, "Recognized Batman A 02"

"Where is she?" The anger and concern in his voice was barley covered with the normal Batman voice.

"The flashes took her to med bay, the cat didn't want to leave her so M'gann took her with Midnight. I think they will be OK." He paused for a minute, "What I'm really worried about is you, are you OK?"

Batman glared at him, "I'm fine," it seamed to be cut short. Immediately after he said that he RAN to the Med Bay, (the only room not bugged with microphones) Nightwing at his heals. He stopped just short, to not let others know his concern that much more. Almost everyone was in the room hovering over Midnight.

Nightwing, "Guys,"Everyone looked at him, once seeing Batman snapped to attention, "Give her some space." everyone backed up a step. Batman walked up to her looking at everything. It was not hard, but not easy to see the pain, sadness, and longing on his face.Slowly one by one the Team left the room finding excuses to leave until only Nightwing was left.

Nightwing, "What?" Only one word was necessary, both knew the full question, 'what does she mean to you?' When Batman didn't answer he asked again, "What is different with her than the rest of us? You never cared this much when we got hurt I know Robin and Batgirl want to know too, they all do." Batman still didn't respond, only one thing would get to him at this point, "Bruce," he waited a second, "Bruce who is she?" He finally broke.

Batman, "Her name is Karra, Karra Wayne." He walked to the side of the bed by Blurr after picking her up and putting her closer to Midnight's head he sat and held Midnight's hand. It was getting harder for him to keep his non-emotional mask on.

Realization dawned on Nightwing, the way he moved, how much he cared what he said and the way he said it. "Is..."it was hard to say, "Is she your, daughter?"

That broke him, Nightwing, or more accurately, Midnight had broken The Batman. His face turned downward his shoulders fell he completely loosened in the chair. All he could do was look at Midnight and hold her hand wishing for her health to return to normal. 

Nightwing spoke again, it was more talking to himself but loud enough for Batman to hear, "What did you do?"