135: Satisfied

"How's it going?" Nyx asked as Toni walked back into the lounge. "She's not here?"

"She got carried away watching the mobile," Toni shrugged, "just like she said she would. And to be honest, I'm feeling kind of drained. She asked me to stop, said she didn't want to..."

"It's a fantasy," Nyx reassured her. "You've heard about stuff like that before, haven't you? She wants to be forced, like in all those stories we read."

"Yeah, that's why I got her that top in the first place. A clear way for her to show me that she doesn't want me to listen. I just never thought... it's hard, you know? Seeing her begging, and knowing she wants me to fight her. It breaks my heart doing something that distresses her like that."

"You know she's enjoying it really, though," Britney mumbled, but it was easy to see that she wasn't so sure either.

"I know. We picked a safe word, something she'd never, ever say in normal conversation without a deep tone of disgust. So if she's really upset, she can tell me. I know it's what she wants, but still..."

"You're not so comfortable with this? Me neither, but I think that's for a different kind of reason."

"Well I wouldn't–" Nyx started, but then distracted herself with a glance at her son. A second later she was speaking again, her tone a lot less concerned and more aggressive. "Garfield, are you refilling your glass again?"

"You're not yelling at anyone else?"

"I'd like you to remember that you're drinking strong liqueurs, remember? Not that awful supermarket-brand cider your friends seem to be able to purchase. You need to show a little self-control."

"She said I could," he answered with a shrug. "And this stuff tastes so much nicer. Don't worry, I'm not going to waste it."

Nix huffed in distaste, but it seemed that garfield was managing to sip his drink responsibly. If expensive drinks could encourage him to drink responsibly, then that was one more thing to learn. She didn't have to like it, but it was very important for Nyx to know that her children were happy.

"So..." Britney broke the silence, "she's just up there on her own?"

"Watching the mobile," Toni shrugged. "I thought I'd give her a few minutes. I should go and get her soon, I think."

"Should we swap out some of the presents? Give her the toys and age-appropriate stuff?"

"She was kind of upset, like she didn't want everyone to see her as a baby. It's something she wants to hide. But yeah, if we're going to let her live her fantasies, maybe the toys will be a good start. Let's hope we can give her everything she was expecting from a first birthday."