Chapter 41: It Wasn't Josh

Catherine sat in her living room, drinking coffee while she watched a show on Netflix. She couldn't stop thinking about how upset Mari was.

She had insisted that Mari stay the night, but her friend refused, saying that it was better for her to be alone. Cath didn't agree, but thought it best not to argue.

The door opened an Catherine stood up immediately. "Matt, what happened?" She asked quickly.

"Josh left," Matt said sadly.

Catherine wrapped her arms tightly around her boyfriend. "I'm so sorry," she said, her voice just voice just above a whisper.

"It's for the best," Matt mumbled softly.

"Why did he leave?" Cath asked, putting a hand to her boyfriend's cheek.

"Because he had to," Matt said hoarsely. "I see that now. He choose to live. Who am I to judge him?"

Catherine shook her head. "Are you going to be alright? Do you want to stay here for a while? It would be better than going back to that empty place of yours."

"Don't remind me," Matt moaned.

Catherine kissed him gently. "It'll work itself out. Josh will be back. I guarantee it...You seem tired. Do you want to go to bed?"

"No," Matt said softly, "I need some time to think."

"Alright. Come sit down," Cath smiled, leading him to the couch. Once he sat down, she curled up next to him. "I love you," she whispered. "Everything's going to be alright, I promise."

"Catherine," Matt said slowly, "would you maybe wanna-"

"Wanna what? Would you like to be alone?"

"No, not at all," Matt said quickly. "Would you want to....move in? I mean, there's that whole big empty room, and it's technically separate apartments...If you don't want to, that's fine. I understand-"

"Sure, I'll move in with you," Catherine smiled.

Matt's eyes widened. "Really?!"

"Of course," Catherine laughed.

Matt tackled her in a hug. "I love you so much."

Catherine held him tightly. "I love you too."

—————

Josh took a deep breath as he stepped past the last gate. "Well, Melody," he thought with a heavy sigh, "we're back where we started, aren't we?"

He turned on his phone and clicked on Mari's messages. "Hey," he typed with a sad smile. "Finish off the Twinkies in the fridge, won't ya?"

"Of course...I miss you already. There's something I should have told you before you left, but I can't do it now. Not like this. Call me soon, okay?" Mari texted back, tears running down her cheeks that he would never see.

"Soon as I get off the flight," Josh sent, quickly stifling a stray tear. He put the phone in his back pocket.

A man walked briskly past, nearly knocking him over.

"Hey!" Josh snapped. "Watch where you're going!"

The man put two hands up in defense before turning around and walking away, Josh's phone in his front pocket.

—————

"So, when should I move in?" Catherine asked. "I was thinking soon. I'm going to keep a lot of my stuff here, I think. It's a lot easier than moving everything in. I'll just move what I need and I can easily walk back here if I need something else."