Chapter 23: Comprehension

After they danced a few more songs, Catherine's right side was throbbing. She did her best not to let it show how badly it hurt.

Matt turned around to play another song and Catherine immediately starting rubbing her side. She knew it hurt because Matt had his hand there while they were dancing, causing the fabric to rub against her burn, but she didn't want to tell him. She didn't want him to worry that he hurt her.

Matt looked her over, reading every twitch and gentle motion. "You alright?"

"Um...yeah, I'm fine," Cath lied.

Matt saw through her immediately. "Let's sit down."

"Okay," Catherine sighed. "I'm alright, really." She sat down beside Matt, wincing slightly.

"We can't lie to each other, Cath," he sighed. "The truth is the only thing we can hold onto."

"My side's just bothering me a bit...a lot actually."

"Is it just because I know about it or should we go home?" Matt asked with worry.

"You've had your hand on my side the entire time we've been dancing. That just...aggravated it a bit," Cath shrugged.

Matt's eyes widened in horror. "I hurt you?"

Catherine immediately wished that she could take back her words. "No," she said quickly.

"I did," Matt said to himself in a trance. "I hurt you and I didn't even notice."

"Babe," Catherine said, moving his chin toward her. "Look at me. I'm alright. I'll always be alright as long as you're here."

Matt frowned. This had happened before, this conversation, this feeling that someone had been injured for his sake. "Cath, you should have told me."

"We were having a good time. Pain aside, tonight has been amazing. I wasn't going to ruin that."

"I love you, Catherine," Matt moaned. "Have I said that today?"

Catherine smiled. "Yes, but I don't mind hearing it again. I love you too," she replied, kissing him gently. She put and hand to her side as she rested her head on his shoulder. The pain was killing her.

"Cath," Matt whispered as she moaned softly, "Cath, tell me if your okay...You're worrying me."

"My side just kinda really hurts right now," Catherine replied, trying to keep her face from twisting in pain.

Matt's brow furrowed as he slowly rose to his feet. "We're taking you to the doctor's."

"Matt, I appreciate the concern, but it's fine. I've been before. Each time I get the same answer. It's just as a result of my accident. It'll go away," Catherine assured.

Matt shook his head. "Cath, your burn is on your ribs. You're holding lower. It might be something else."

"You didn't see how big the scar is, did you? It covers a pretty wide area."

Matt shrugged. "I saw enough, Cath. What if your appendix is bad or something?"

"You really want me to go?" Catherine sighed.

"It would serve to ease my troubled mind."

"Fine, I'll go."

"Thank you." Matt sighed in relief.

Catherine let him take her to the hospital. The entire time, she wondered why he was so concerned. She assured him that it was nothing. "Perhaps he doesn't know exactly how bad my accident was," Catherine thought.