Chapter 11: Spilled Coffee

"Well, that sounds like it worked itself out," Matt smiled as Catherine sat down beside him. He gave a teasing frown. "You think Josh is cute?"

Catherine gave a scoff and lightly punched him in the arm. "Eavesdropper."

"I have very sensitive ears," Matthew laughed, slowly putting a nervous arm around the back of the couch. He hoped he had done it slow enough where she wouldn't particularly notice.

"Yeah, okay," Catherine laughed.

"No, really," he laughed, "When I was on broadway-" He stopped, quickly changing the subject. "I once heard Josh coming in the elevator before he stepped foot in it." He pointed to his burnt left hand side of his face. "I can barely hear out of this ear anymore."

"Really?" Catherine asked, gently rubbing the side of her stomach.

"It makes violin kinda hard but I make do," he shrugged, moving his arm closer to her.

"Is he doing what I think he's doing?" Catherine thought. She said aloud, "I didn't know you played violin."

"I play whatever I can get my hands on," he smiled.

He moved his arm another inch closer, so that the fabric of his button down just grazed the back of her neck. "Fire's a funny kind of thing isn't it?" Matt said with a far off look in his eye. "How can something so destructive be so beautiful?"

"Don't I know it," she laughed nervously.

Matthew's keen eye quickly saw her hand. "Did you hurt yourself last night?" He asked in concern.

"No," she said quickly. Maybe too quickly. Perhaps she would explain in time. She changed the subject by admitting, "I can play electric guitar. I haven't touched one in years, so I'm probably really rusty."

"Ick," Matt teased. "Electric guitar has strayed from the pure faith. What kind of electric guitar are we talking?"

"Rock," Catherine replied. "I also played a lot of Prince in my day."

"Purple Rain," Matt said with a sad smile. "A legend. I'm sure you proved worthy."

"My sister practically forced me to learn. She hadn't any musical talent, except for her voice. She said that I needed to learn and be exceptionally talented to make up for her lack there of. I'm playing Christine because of her. She always called me Christine or Miss Daaé or Angel of Music," Catherine laughed sadly.

"And you do it beyond all expectation. Now, if your free, I'd like to go over The Point of No Return. There's a couple harmonies you could get more confident on," he said, finally moving his arm all the way around her.

Catherine bit her lip shyly and her heart fluttered. "Alright."

"Now," Matt mumbled, "When I did it..." He reached his arm around, grabbed her hand and spun her up to her feet. "My director said that a key in the scene was confidence unconfidently. Christine is afraid, and yet she's acting out her part with fierce determination. Even in those parts where she falters, we as vocalists, but also as actors have to put emphasis into each movement." He released her hand and made a grand sweep of the room with his own. "From your solo?"

Catherine suddenly glanced at her phone. Had it really been fifteen minutes?

Oh no. Mariah.

"I have to go," she said, quickly grabbing her purse. "I have to meet Mariah. She'll kill me if I'm not there. I'll see you soon. Be at my apartment at six next Friday."

"Alright," he sighed, "but I expect you to practice!"

"Yes, Angel," she replied as she ran off.

Matt gave a small smile. He was off to do a few hauntings before the day was done. He also figured he'd keep a fiant eye on his Cath, make sure that brat, known as Caroline, left her alone.

—————

Josh came rushing into the conference room six minutes late.

"Josh!" Caroline exclaimed. "We've been waiting."

"Sorry!" Josh winced, balancing three cups of coffee. "Starbucks was full of teenager girls talking gibberish."

"Josh," Caroline said in an eerie sweetness, making her way to him. "Sad, nerdy, poor, little Josh."

"Don't let it happen again, Babe," She hissed under her breath, smacking his back hard.

Josh gave a yelp as the top coffee toppled over, spilling onto the girl seated next to him.

"Oh my god," he stammered, "I'm so so sorry!"

"What did you do?" Mari exclaimed. "This was a brand new top!"

"I'm such a klutz," Josh stammered, "I'm sorry, Mariah."

"Josh!" Caroline snapped. "Was that my coffee?!"

"Yeah," Josh grumbled.

"Well, get a new one then," Caroline sighed. "I guess the tech budget will have to wait till you get back."

"No," Catherine interjected. "I'll go."

"No," Caroline said firmly, her hawk eyes turning to Catherine. "He's my boyfriend. He'll do what I ask."

"Yeah," Josh mumbled. "I like getting her coffee."

Mari gave a small scoff. "Doesn't even have an original bone in his body, that one. And definitely not any backbone."

Josh's face changed. He'd put up with a lot in his life, but that was one thing he couldn't put up with. "Hey!" He said angrily. "I make my own choices. And if I want to get another coffee, I will!"

"Okay, break it up, you two. Let me rephrase. I will get Caroline's coffee and you will start the meeting. Okay? Good. I'll be back shortly. Mari will fill me in later," Catherine said firmly.

Mari sent an irritated glance at Josh, her eye twitched in a rage.

"I can't believe her," Caroline muttered.

"Lay off," Josh spat crudely, slapping a look of surprise across his girlfriend's face.

Catherine left the room and texted Mariah, "I'm totally getting the wrong thing and then I'm gonna make the little princess drink it or get the correct one herself."

"You're evil," Mariah replied. "Get me a frappe while you're at it."

"Will do."

Cath was halfway out the door when Matthew dropped from the ceiling in front of her, coffees in hand. "I saw it coming," he said with an awkward laugh. "Happens every three quarters."

"Ah, but did you get Caroline the wrong coffee?" Catherine asked with a mischievous smile.

"No," Matt smirked, "but I put a laxative in the whipped cream."

"Childish, and slightly evil. I like it," Catherine said, taking the coffees and kissing Matthew on the cheek. "See you soon, love."

Matt blushed crimson red and stumbled backward. "Right," he said hoarsely. "Love you."

Was it strange how easily those words came of his tongue? Had it really been he who said them?

Catherine gave a muffled cry of excitement and delight as she walked back into the conference room.

"How'd you get coffee that fast?" Mari inquired.

"Coffee fairy."

Mariah looked at her skeptically.

"What? It's a thing," Catherine said defensively.