Chapter 22: Thinking Out Loud

Christopher left and Matt immediately returned to Catherine's side, pulling her close. "Are you alright?" He asked gently. He could see how badly she wanted to cry.

Catherine let the tears fall down her cheeks as she embraced Matt. She buried her face in his chest and sobbed, "What did I do to make him hate me?"

Matthew wrapped his strong arms around Catherine. "You didn't do anything," he assured, stroking her hair gently. "Are you going to be okay?"

"I think so," was Catherine's muffled reply.

Matt gently lifted Cath off her feet and moved over to the couch, sitting her on his lap. He kept his arms wrapped around her, refusing to let go, refusing to let her escape from the safety that he provided.

"Thanks for standing up for me back there," Catherine said after a moment.

"That's what I'm here for," Matt said with a unsure laugh.

"What's on your mind?" Catherine asked with a knowing smile.

"I don't know," Matt frowned. "His voice just seemed familiar. I'm sure it's nothing.

"Probably," Catherine sighed. "What do you want to do?"

"Surprisingly," Matt laughed, "eat something?"

"Good. I'm starving. I took the liberty of getting pizza makings at the store," Catherine said, getting up and walking into the kitchen. "How does that sound?"

"Heavenly," Matt said, still slightly preoccupied. "He seems like he was a good man...once."

"I wouldn't know. We weren't close. Lotte was quite obviously his favorite. They did stuff together a lot. Then Lotte grew up and started spending more time with me," Catherine explained. "God, I miss her...Do you want pepperoni?"

"Sure," Matt nodded. "And your mom?"

"We were very close. I still can't believe it's been four years since she died," Catherine sighed, wiping a stray tear from her cheek. "Matt, can I ask you a question?"

"Anything," he smiled.

"Why didn't...um...what do you want to do while the pizza's in the oven?" Catherine asked, hoping Matthew wouldn't realize that that wasn't really her question.

"I don't know," Matt laughed. "Stare at you."

Catherine blushed. "Do you dance?"

Matt rolled his eyes. "Do I dance? Was that your real question?"

"Um...yep."

Matt smirked. "Promise you won't laugh if I tell you the truth?"

"Alright," Catherine smiled.

"Josh taught me."

"Did he buy you dinner first?" Catherine teased.

"Shut up," Matt laughed. "And yes, actually."

Catherine covered her mouth to avoid laughing, though her shoulders shook violently. "Oh gosh."

"You said you wouldn't laugh," Matt grinned triumphantly.

"I'm not," Catherine replied, biting her lip. "I think I need to see some of these moves of yours."

"Pizza first," Matt pleaded.

"We still have ten minutes before we can eat. What are you gonna do? Stare at it in to oven or stare at me?" Catherine smirked.

"I," Matt laughed, "am going to learn from past mistakes and text Josh."