Chapter 37: Maybe He's Depressed

Many nights later, Matt and Catherine were having eating dinner when the latter brought up the subject of the masquerade. "I suppose Carlos could take me now that he's back in Paris," she mentioned. She noticed Matthew's change in demeanor. "Is something the matter?"

"No," he said quickly. "But..."

"But? There's a but?" Catherine smiled teasingly. "But what?...I'm sorry. I'll be serious now. Please, go on."

"I thought I could go...'cause I had stuff planned...for taking you that is. Just for...stuff," Matt stammered

"You want to go?"Catherine asked excitedly.

"If you want me to."

She threw her arms around his neck. "Of course I want you to!"

Matt blushed and smiled timidly. "Sorry, I still find it a shock that anyone would want me."

Catherine smiled and put her hand on his cheek. "I love you so much."

"I love you too," Matt grinned. "What's the theme of this extravaganza?"

"Masquerade from The Phantom of the Opera. The new manager said there was a special reason why he chose that theme. Something about a special announcement," Cath smiled excitedly. "I have to go dressed as Christine."

Matt smirked knowingly. "Maybe," he said, playing stupid, "I'll go as Buquet. "

"No way," Catherine laughed. "I am not going to a ball with Joseph Buquet."

"It would be fun," Matt laughed, putting an arm around her. "I could wear a Punjab lasso my neck."

"And as much as I would love to strangle you, I'm going to have to say no."

"Fine," Matt sighed teasingly.

"Anyway, I was thinking that maybe I could help you work on your ballroom dancing a bit tonight," Catherine said, resting her head on his shoulder.

"Sorry, but someone else already danced my carpet to shreds," Matt laughed.

"Well, then it's a good thing we're at my apartment," Catherine smirked. "

"But it's too small in here," Matt whined.

Catherine rolled her eyes. "It is not. Come on," she said, pulling him out of his chair.

"Hey, watch it!" Matt laughed. "Josh bashed my arm into the counter this morning."

"That's your fault. I told you to stay with me and not move back in with Josh, but no," Cath teased. "I'll be careful. Come on."

"It's what I get for touching his laptop," Matt sighed.

"He has a temper that rivals my own," Catherine laughed. "I'll give you a rub later. Now, come on. I want to dance with you."

"Fine," Matt said, rolling his eyes.

Catherine played a song on her phone and sang softly as Matt put his hands on her waist, "Say you love me every waking moment. Turn my head with talk of summertime..."

"So corny," Matt teased

Catherine smiled and brushed a bit of hair out of his face, pulling him closer and kissing him as the song ended.

"Gross," Matt teased, lifting her up.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Would you like me to stop?" Cath smirked.

"No," Matt mumbled crossly.

"What's wrong?" Catherine smiled kindly, putting a hand on his cheek. "You're very tense."

"Sorry," Matt sighed, "I'm worried about Josh."

"Do you want to talk about it?"

Matt raised an eyebrow. "He's eating raisins."

"So?"

Matt's eyes widened. "You don't remember about the raisins? He's like deathly afraid of em."

"Yeah, I remember," Catherine laughed. "He got over his fear. So what? Big deal."

"He's been reading books."

"He also has eyes and is breathing. Your point, Collins?"

"Ugh," Matt groaned. "You don't know him like I do. This is big. He might have finally lost it."

"He's been getting close to Mari. She likes to read. Maybe she broke him," Catherine laughed.

"I don't want him broken. He won't talk at all," Matt pouted. "I'm used to his constant chatter."

"You still have me," Catherine smiled.

"But you're my fiancée," Matt whined internally to himself. "But you're my girlfriend," he moaned aloud.

"Exactly. It's better," Cath grinned. "Hey, are you going to stay the night or are you going back to your place?"

"I think I'll stay home," Matt said with a frown. "Maybe he's depressed again or something."

"Wait, so you're staying here?"

"Yeah," Matt grinned.

Catherine smiled at the fact that he referred to her apartment as 'home' and kissed him. "You are seriously the perfect boyfriend."

"You're seriously the perfect girlfriend," Matt said absentmindedly.

"I love you so much, Matt," Catherine smiled.

"I love you too, Cath," Matt replied, kissing her gently.