Chapter 40: Until We Meet Again

Start from the beginning

Josh felt something twitch within him.

Doubt?

Fear?

"We'll see, Mariah. Just...just promise me you won't give up trying to chase down those crazy dreams of yours."

"I promise...I should probably go then," Mari sighed, a tear threatening to escape.

Josh stood up with Mari as she wrapped her arms tightly around him. "Goodbye, Josh."

"Goodbye, Mariah."

Mari left with a sad smile. The elevator doors closed and she could no longer hold it back. Tears streamed down her face. She quickly made her way home.

—————

"Josh left," Catherine said after she read Mari's text. "He quit his job today and is going to stay with his brother. Mari doesn't think he'll return."

"What?!" Matt exclaimed, looking up abruptly.

Catherine put a hand on his shoulder. "Matt, I'm so sorry."

Matt brushed her hand away and stood up, retrieving his coat. "I'm going after him. Where's my phone?"

Catherine stood up and rested her hand gently on his arm. "Matt, you're not going to like what I'm about to say, but maybe you should let him go," she sighed. "Listen, if he's leaving without saying goodbye, he probably has a good reason. The last thing you want to do is drive him away."

"Further away than he already is?!" Matt cried out. "I should have seen this coming. Why is he such a hard head sometimes? I swear-"

Catherine sighed. She knew that if Josh was leaving, nothing would stop him. She also knew how strong willed Matt was. It would inevitably end in a fight, Josh would leave, and Catherine would be left to pick up the pieces.

"Twisted every way. What answer can I give?" Catherine quoted. "Go. Go now. And I want you coming straight back here."

"I love you," Matt said softly, kissing her gently. He turned away and raced out the door as fast as he could.

"I love you too," Catherine called after him.

Matt turned up his coat collar and started heading down Eighth Ave.

Mask-less.

He walked with great strides, as fast as he could on the route to Jack's house.

—————

Josh looked at his watch and pulled the suitcase behind him.

A quick stop at Jack's and then to the airport.

He stopped and wondered if what he was doing the right thing. Mariah looked so upset when he told her he was leaving. Was it really wise to leave her? To leave Matt?

—————

Catherine opened the door to see Mari's tear stained face. She pulled her in close. "He'll come back," she whispered as she shut the door.

"No, he won't," Mari sobbed. "He'll never come back and I'm going to be alone forever."

Catherine rubbed her friend's back comfortingly. "It's going to be okay," she said softly.

Mari pulled away and wiped her eyes. "I don't even know why I'm acting like this. We were just friends."

"Mariah, you told me yourself that you like him," Catherine smiled. "It's natural to be upset."

"But it's not like he feels the same about me or would even want to be with me," Mari sniffed.

Catherine put her hands on her friend's shoulders. "Any guy would be very fortunate to have you."