Family

Suffolk County Memorial Hospital

"Before we get the patient out of the artificial coma, I would like to give you an overview of his condition," the doctor said, looking at Daniel's medical file. "Well, ..." he started. "The bullet fortunately hit only one lung, and no other, important organs, so that we were able to retain the function. We needed to remove a part of the injured lung, which won't effect him that much in his mobility after the lung had healed. He can certainly do sports again. However moderate and controlled. But we still have time until then. At the moment it's important that he gets rest." He cleared his throat and then continued. "Complications may occur after surgery. Therefore, we will keep him here for a while. Should re-bleeding occur, we can react immediately and provide him with medical care." He looked into the round. "Do you have any further questions?"

"Will he experience a full recovery?" Victoria asked, kneading her fingers nervously.

The doctor nodded. "After a certain convalescence time, quite sure."

"May we see him?" Emily asked hesitantly.

"We're going to stop the artificial respiration and wait for him to wake up by himself," the doctor said. "Normally it doesn't take very long. Most patients wake up immediately. Since he is still under the influence of anesthesia and painkillers, it can happen that he's still disoriented and doesn't immediately recognize you."

Emily suddenly thought of her own amnesia. What if Daniel didn't recognize her anymore? If he had forgotten everything they had experienced in the last few months? Her renewed approach, her declaration of love, his proposal of marriage, the birth of their son ... Though she reminded herself to be strong, she suddenly burst into tears.

"There, there, it's all right!" The doctor carefully put a hand on her shoulder. "That's just a temporary state. This is going to pass."

Emily looked up, surprised, as Victoria suddenly approached her. "These are the hormones," she said, nodding at the doctor. "Baby blues."

The doctor smiled. "Yes, of course. I had quite forgotten that you gave birth a few days ago. My mistake." He looked at Emily. "How is your baby?"

"Very good. He's now breathing on his own and even drinking from the bottle," Victoria interrupted before her daughter-in-law could answer.

"This is good news. Then you can take him home soon."

Emily wanted to reply, but Victoria was faster again.

"It's all prepared for him in the house," she said. "My husband and I have already hired a nanny. My daughter-in-law still needs rest after the exhausting weeks before and after the delivery."

"I'm fine," Emily interjected, but Victoria's reproachful look made her keep quiet.

"Of course the same is true for our son," she continued, unperturbed. "We hired a nurse for him as well who will take care of him 24/7."

"Well, then ..." The doctor cleared his throat uneasily. "... Then everything seems to be well prepared." He squeezed Emily's hand slightly. "If you would excuse me, please. I have to go to another patient." He turned to Victoria and Conrad. "I'll let you know when your son is awake. Then a nurse will bring you to him."

The whole time, Emily hadn't dared to say anything, but when the doctor had left, she couldn't hold onto her anymore. "You want us to move back to the Manor?" She asked, frowning at her mother-in-law. "Actually, I'd rather stay in the beach house."

"Good-gracious, no!" Victoria rolled her eyes. "You heard what the doctor said. Daniel needs a lot of rest and has to be careful and the same applies to Julian. Do you want to take care of your sick husband and you newborn son alone?" She shook her head. "You're completely overwhelmed. That's why Conrad and I decided that you move in with us until both are better."

Too kind, Emily thought. She suppressed her desire to roll her eyes. If she hadn't been aware of that before, she knew now. Victoria didn't leave anything to chance. She needed to have everything under control. But she didn't give up so easily. "It's nice that you care so much for Daniel's and Julian's well-being, but I think I can take care of my husband and son myself," she said with determination in her voice.

"Just for the beginning," Conrad interjected, who had been quietly listening the whole time.

"The first weeks or maybe months," Victoria clarified. "Until both are stronger."

"All right," Emily gave in. "A few weeks." She was too tired to fight Victoria and her know-it-all-manner. She had to admit, that she still felt rather weak and could perhaps use a little help. But she wasn't all alone. Charlotte was there, and Nolan not far away. When she needed help, she could count on these two as well. "I'm going back to Julian. Would you let me know me when Daniel is woken up?" She said tiredly.

Conrad nodded. "Yes, just go. I think it will take some time anyway."

"Should I come with you?" Victoria asked eagerly, but Conrad held her back. "Just leave her alone, Victoria," he said quietly but firmly, taking her arm. "We just sit in the waiting area and wait."

Emily gave him a grateful look and went back to the premature unit. Maybe Conrad was someone she could ask for help, too. At least it seemed as if he had the greatest influence on Victoria. Julian had just slept again after she had given him his bottle as a nurse approached her.

"Mrs. Grayson? I was assigned to tell you when your husband is awake."

Emily felt her heart beating faster with excitement and anxiety. She quickly put the sleeping baby back in his bed and then followed the nurse to the intensive care unit. The whole family had already gathered around Daniel's bed; Victoria, Conrad and Charlotte. But he looked at her when she entered the room. And when he smiled at her and whispered her name, she knew that she had made the right decision to leave the path of retribution once and for all. Throughout her life, she had longed for a family and a home after she had spent her childhood and youth in various children homes and had even been in the juvie. "Where we love is home. Home that our feet may leave, but not our hearts," she murmured, walking slowly towards the bed. She had found her home; With Daniel and his family.

This is the end of "The Choices We Make".

Thanks to all who have read and commented! :) If you want to know what will happen to the Graysons, Emily & Daniel, Ava, Nolan and Jack, just read the sequel "From Vengeance to Forgiveness": https://www.wattpad.com/myworks/203608257-from-vengeance-to-forgiveness