Threat

Rebun Island, Japan

Emily was still on cloud nine when she returned to the training camp. She could hardly believe her luck that Daniel had forgiven her after her accusations at the hospital. In theory, they had even ended their relationship if this was possible in the case of spouses. And she had forbidden him to see his own son. The worst revenge act, probably at all. And she hadn't planned to pursue her feud against him. But now, after they had spoken, she hoped that there would be a shared future for them and Julian. Julian, her little innocent darling, who probably thought she had no interest in him because she never visited him. She bit her thumb to stop the sobbing. Her face was still moist with tears when she pushed open the door to her room and then froze. "Aiden ..." she said with a slightly trembling voice, as she saw him sitting on her bed. Her heart began to throb more quickly, not with joy, but with fear that he might know where she had been. So Ava's plan hadn't worked, to distract him, she thought, as she stepped slowly to the bed.

"Where have you been?" He demanded.

Emily shrank back. When did it start that I fear him? she thought. This was the man with whom she had a serious relationship before August 8th. But this Aiden was a stranger to her.

"I ..." She moistened her dry lips. "... made a little walk," she lied.

"Walk?" He looked at her with a frown. "It's freezing cold outside. And you're still weak. You shouldn't walk around alone."

"There was no one else." She shrugged helplessly. "And I was tired of lying around."

He nodded. "From now on, you'll tell me before you're out on the island alone!"

His commanding demeanor created defiance in her. "Stop bullying me!" she said furiously. "I am not your slave, Aiden! Bad enough that you kidnapped me. Now you want to tell me what I have to do?"

He sighed and reached out for her. "Come here!" He asked with a silky voice.

Confused and at the same time suspicious, she eyed his hand. She didn't know where his sudden change of mood came from. Hesitantly, she gave him her hand and sat down on the bed. A mistake, as it turned out immediately, when he put his arm around her waist and pulled her closer that he could put his lips to her neck.

"Aiden, don't ...!" She tried to push him away, but he was stronger. For a moment she wondered if he would go as far as to take her against her will. Tears of despair ran down her cheeks as she gave up resistance and endured his kisses and touches. But when she thought she couldn't bear it any longer, he suddenly released her and jumped up from the bed.

"You can't even stand my touch!" He breathed heavily. "What happened with the Emily who wanted to start a new life with me?" He began to pace nervously back and forth. "I only agreed to the marriage with Daniel because I knew it was part of your plan to destroy the Graysons. There was never any talk of affection or even love. You swore to me that you would live with me after your plans for revenge had been fulfilled!" He ran a hand through his short hair. "Lies, all lies!" He suddenly flung at her and reached for her neck. "Look at me!"

Trembling and with tears in her eyes, she looked up at him. She could see the pain mirroring in his eyes and suddenly felt something like compassion for him. "Let me go, ... please!" She begged weakly.

Abruptly he released her and closed his eyes briefly. "Tell me, what has changed?"

Emily didn't know the answer. She didn't understand herself how feelings could change so rapidly. Perhaps she had always loved Daniel, and had only suppressed her emotions because she had had to do it, because of her revenge against his parents. She remembered the first time with him, where the feelings had been real. Where she had believed that there would be a shared future for them. But her desire to take revenge and the hatred that came along with it was simply too vast. She had no choice. She had to let him go. Did that mean she'd never loved Aiden? She also had no answer to that question. Perhaps she had only believed it. Perhaps instead of love, it was only loyalty because they had pursued a common goal. "I don't know," she said truthfully. "I just know I can't live with you anymore." She cautiously laid her hand on his cheek. "I'm sorry, Aiden! I know how much you still love me. And after all you've done for me, it's not fair to ask you, but ..." She took a deep breath. "Please, take me home!"

He looked at her for a moment thoughtfully. "To Daniel?" He asked calmly.

She nodded hesitantly. "To him and Julian."

He suddenly laughed scornfully. "Just over my dead body or his!" he said coldly.

His remark made her blood run cold. He couldn't know that Daniel was on the island. He was safe. And yet she noticed that suddenly an irrational fear seized hold of her. She saw how he unbuttoned his shirt and held her breath as she saw the scar that Daniel's gunshot had caused.

"Too bad he was faster. But I won't give him the opportunity to try it again. If we meet again, I will be the winner." He gave her a knowing look. "In two respects."

As he turned and walked away, she didn't feel relief, but naked fear. I have to warn Daniel before he and Aiden coincidentally meet on the island, was the only thought that dominated her. She jumped up from the bed and carefully opened the door after she had made sure that he was really gone. Only then she stepped outside and run as fast as she could to her targeted aim.