Departure

Grayson Manor, Hamptons

Nolan hopped out his car and looked to the entrance of the imposing building. He was glad that he had more than one car available, so that he could remain mobile. It didn't change the fact though that Daniel had stolen his car and was probably already on his way to Japan. Sighing, he ran a hand through his hair. He had really underestimated that boy. He hadn't thought of him being so reckless and suicidal. But he guessed that Daniel had just reacted spontaneously without thinking. What a fool he had been to keep the keys on the table! He should have known that his confession would trigger something. As he walked slowly towards the entrance of Grayson Manor, he hoped that Daniel might have gone home to pack some things. But it was Charlotte, who opened the door.

"Nolan?" She exclaimed, surprised.

"Tell me Daniel is at home," he came straight to the point.

"Daniel?" She looked at him confused, as she opened the door further to allow him to enter. "Don't you know? He was arrested," she told him. "He's in jail!"

"Not anymore," Nolan clarified. "I bailed him out by giving him an alibi."

"What?" Charlotte thought she had misheard. "But if he's free, where is he now?"

"Good question." Nolan tapped his forehead thoughtfully. "He stole my car. So he can practically be anywhere."

Charlotte looked at him shocked. "Why did he steal your car? What's he doing with it?"

"Can we talk in private?" Nolan said softly. "I don't want to discuss this in the hallway."

"Sure." She nodded. "Let's go to my room." She went upstairs, waiting for Nolan to follow her. "Now tell me what's going on!" She asked him as she had closed the door to her room.

Nolan took a deep breath. For a moment, he wondered whether he should tell Charlotte the whole truth, but he chose only for the half-truth. "Daniel knows where Emily is," he began reluctantly.

"She lives?" Charlotte asked excitedly.

Nolan nodded. "She's fine. But with the ... abductors is not to be trifled with. And I'm afraid your brother intends to step into the lion's den to get Emily out there, alone."

"Where is she?"

"On a Japanese island," Nolan said quickly. "The abductors have contacted me to pay the ransom," he says, making up a credible story. "And I agreed to give them the money." He noticed Charlotte's puzzled look.

"Why do they blackmail you for ransom and not Daniel or my parents? I mean, Emily is a Grayson and not a Ross."

Nolan shrugged. "Perhaps they thought that I'm wealthier than the Graysons ," he clarified.

"That's odd." Charlotte frowned. "And Daniel has learned about this and has now flown to give the ransom himself?" She tried to spin the story further.

"Something like that." Nolan sighed softly. "But that wasn't planned. He can't just go there alone. They'll kill him before he sees Emily at all!"

"Oh no ...!" Charlotte looked at him horrified. "And why didn't you stop him?"

"Because he tricked me." Nolan rolled his eyes at the thought of how Daniel had used his bathroom visit for stealing his car.

Charlotte reached for her cell phone. "We need to inform the police!" she said.

"No, no police!" Nolan grabbed her hand before she could even type a number. "The abductors have threatened to kill Emily immediately if the police gets involved."

"And what now?" Charlotte looked at him despairingly. "We can't wait until something bad happened to Daniel!"

"I'm going after him." His decision was suddenly firm. If one had an influence on Aiden, then it was him. "I shouldn't have told him about it."

Charlotte shook her head deep in thoughts. "That's why they kidnapped her," she muttered. "To get money. And my mother thought Emily had staged her abduction herself." She looked up, her eyes clear again. "I'm going to come with you," she said resolutely.

"No way!" Nolan shook his head firmly. "This is far too dangerous."

"Daniel is my brother and Emily is like a sister to me. You can't stop me!" She raised her chin defiantly. "You once said I should step out of the shadow of my parents and show more self-confidence. I'm ready to do this now."

Nolan rolled his eyes. Not just like a sister, he thought. "Fine," he replied. "Pack some things and write a message to your parents that they shouldn't worry."

"What should I write where I am?" Charlotte asked, frowning.

He shrugged. "Just write that you're visiting a friend. It won't take long for them to find out that you lied and that Daniel is out of jail. All hints will point to me." He sighed deeply. "But I accept that. We just need a head-start before your parents call in the police."

Charlotte nodded. "I'll hurry with packing!"

He looked after her with mixed feelings as she took the steps upstairs, taking two steps at once. He wondered if it was such a good idea to take her with him. But he hadn't known how to tell her not to go. Charlotte was as stubborn as her brother. And perhaps it was good to put another female influence on Aiden. He knew Charlotte from before. And he couldn't imagine that Aiden was capable of harming her. She was one of those Graysons you simply like. And she was Emily's half-sister. Maybe this was exactly the trump card he needed to save Emily. He looked up as Charlotte came down again.

"I'm ready."

He nodded. "Let's go! The plane to Japan is waiting for us."