Forgiveness

Nolan's Mansion, Hamptons

Nolan was surprised when he received a call from an unknown number. "Yes, please?"

"Nolan Ross?"

He nodded. "Yes, that's me, and who are you?" He asked the female caller.

"You probably don't know me. My name is Ava Winters. I'm calling from Rebun Island."

Rebun Island. At the reference of the place, Nolan perked up his ears. Has something happened with Emily? "I'm listening."

"Aiden Mathis gave me your telephone number some time ago. He said it's in case of emergency."

"Did something happen to him?" Nolan asked concerned.

"That's how you could put it, but no, it's about Emily Grayson."

Nolan held his breath for a moment. What did the girl know about Emily? "What about her?" He asked cautiously.

"She's here on Rebun Island. I think Aiden kidnapped her. She told me she was in the hospital before. Do you know anything about it?"

"Emily is my friend as well as Aiden is my friend," Nolan answered cryptically.

"So that's supposed to mean yes?"

He raised the eyebrows in amazement. The girl was smart and could put together puzzle pieces well. "Yes," he admitted. "And before you ask any further questions ... I helped him to get her out of the hospital and bring her to Japan."

"But she doesn't want to be here! She wants to go back to her baby and her husband."

Nolan closed his eyes for a moment and sighed softly. That was exactly what he had feared. So Emily's talk that she still had feelings for Daniel was true and she only felt gratitude to Aiden. "We both thought it was best for her."

"Men and her thoughts ... She let me know about it because she hoped I could help her. I've already tried to talk with Aiden. He insists that she belongs to him. But she doesn't want to stay. She tried to get in touch with her husband, but since he's in jail now ... "

"Wait a minute,... jail?!" Nolan interrupted, frowning.

"Daniel Grayson was arrested. Don't you see any news?"

"Just a second ..." He went to his TV and switched on the news. It only took a moment to convince himself of the truth. A reporter just announced that the son of the famous industrialist Conrad Grayson had been arrested for abduction and alleged murder of his wife. "Oh no ..." he muttered shocked.

"Can you see it?"

Nolan nodded, his gaze still fixed on the screen. "Yes, I can see it." He ran a hand through his hair. "Dammit!" He groaned. "That certainly wasn't my plan to pin the abduction on Daniel."

"Can you do anything to help him?"

"I don't know. I was involved in the abduction and wouldn't want to attract too much attention to the police, if you understand what I mean?"

"Sure, I understand. But you can't send an innocent to jail for a crime he didn't commit."

"No, of course not." Sighing, he rubbed his eyes. "Does Emily know about it?"

"No. And I hope she won't. She's already worried enough. I can't believe you and Aiden had planned to kidnap her and separate her from her baby! What were you thinking?"

Nolan had to admit that Ava Winters was not quite wrong. He suddenly didn't know why he had agreed on Aiden's plan at all. He had to set it right, without getting into the firing line. "I'll take care of it, okay?" He promised.

"What exactly are you planning to do?"

"I'll try to convince the police that Daniel is innocent." He shrugged. "I just give him an alibi. That can't be that hard."

"Good. And I'm taking care of Aiden."

"Be careful! He can be a bit ... rude sometimes when it comes to defending his possessions," Nolan said in a warning tone.

"I'm also one of Takeda's students. And I'm good. So don't worry. Face to face,... you know."

"I have your number now. As soon as I could achieve something, I'll let you know, okay?"

"Yes, okay. And Nolan ..."

"What?"

"Thank you!"

"I'm doing this for Emily," he said softly. "I promised her father that time. And I think he would be proud of her if he could see her now."

"How so?"

"Because he never wanted her to follow the path of retribution. Even when he still lived, he had experienced that it brought nothing but ruin. And he always wanted to protect her from it. He wanted her to learn to forgive. And I think she has found the right way now."

"Wise words..."

"I don't know your reasons why you were looking for Takeda's help, but maybe you should consider your plans. Revenge has a tendency to spread like cancer. And at some point you have nothing under control."

"I'm thinking about it. But now I have to hang up. Take care, Nolan!"

Deep in thoughts, he hung up. He hoped it was the right decision. He would go to the Police Department and would provide an alibi for Daniel. Quickly, he reached for his car key and left the house.