Fear

Emily's beach house, Hamptons

Nolan didn't want to reveal how shocked he was about Daniel's appearance. He was the last he had expected. But, of course, it made sense, because after Emily's alleged death, the beach house belonged to him. And this included all its content, for example, her clothes, the reason why he had come here at all.

"Daniel... Hi...," was everything he could say, even though he usually had a quick tongue.

"What are you doing here?"

A legitimate question, Nolan thought. Unlike Daniel, who was the owner of the beach house, he didn't have any reason to be here.

"I just wanted to ask you the same," he said.

"I wanted ... I don't know... I... I should go..."

Nolan saw Daniel nervously ruffle his hair as he struggled to formulate a logical sentence. He felt compassion for the young man all of a sudden who had lost everything in such a short time. Even though he had helped Emily with her plan to destroy the Graysons, he had always been convinced that Daniel Grayson had been a victim of his parents' scheming. He hadn't been responsible for David Clarke's arrest and assassination. He was as old as Emily, an innocent child. And yet she had used him to sneak into his family, so she could carry out her plan. She really hadn't stopped at nothing. Nolan remembered how often he had warned her that one day someone would find out about her plan. And that was exactly what had happened. Someone had learned that she was playing a double game and tried to stop her.

"Wait..." He took a step towards Daniel and carefully placed his hand on his shoulder. "I haven't had the opportunity to tell you how sorry I am. Emily was a good friend of mine, too." How easily the lie came over his lips, astonished even him. "I used to be in the beach house very often, as you know", he tried to explain. "I walked on the beach today and somehow landed here." He shrugged. "The door was open. I was just curious." He inhaled deeply. "I don't know if it's just me, but I feel as if she's still here. If you understand what I mean?"

Daniel nodded. "Yeah, you can feel it all over the house," he said softly, then looked up. "My parents are planning to give a commemoration for Emily. Since they haven't found her body, she can't have a common funeral. As one of Emily's best friends... would you attend? "

Nolan was moved by Daniel's words, but at the same time his bad conscience troubled him. He could clearly see how bad the young man was suffering about the loss. And he wished he could tell him that Emily was still alive. But he had promised Aiden to keep quiet until he had prepared her for the return. "When will the commemorations take place?", he asked.

"On September 1st. It takes a few more days until all the formalities are settled."

Nolan looked around. "What's going to happen with all of this?," he pried.

"The beach house?" Daniel shrugged. "I'm not sure yet. I'd like to keep it, but there are so many memories..." He canceled the sentence midway and shook his head. "I think it's better to sell it."

A spontaneous plan formed in Nolan's head. "If you agree, I'd like to buy it", he suggested. He held his breath for a moment, but when Daniel nodded, he exhaled slowly. He could save Emily's home. Even if she lived with him for the time being, he was convinced that she wanted to go back to the beach house sooner or later. After all, this was the place where she had grown up and lived the last few years.

"Great! It's best to come to me so we can sort out the details." Surprised, he looked up as Daniel pushed the key into his hand.

"Here! Take it! I'm done with everything anyway."

It was easier than imagined, Nolan thought with a smile, as he watched Daniel walking back to Grayson Manor.

Maldives, beach house

Desperately, Emily clung to the toilet seat while she threw up violently, almost passing out. She pressed against the bandage, which was below her chest, then stared in shock at the blood in her hand. She tried to sit up, but failed. "Aiden?!" she cried desperately, knowing he was still in the kitchen. But she couldn't hold on any longer.

He rushed into the bathroom and took her into his arms carefully.

"I think the wound has opened up," she said, groaning, still holding her hands firmly pressed against the bandage.

He nodded after a quick examination. "I don't have a first aid kit, otherwise I'd have stitched the wound myself. I'll take you to the hospital!"

Without resistance, she allowed him to lift her up and carry her to the car they had rented.

"How could this happen?" He carefully put her into the back seat.

"I don't know. After the breakfast, I felt sick all of a sudden." She inhaled frantically. "I still feel sick."

"We need about half an hour to the nearest hospital," he said. "Do you think you can make it by then?"

Emily nodded. "I don't have a choice, now haven't I?"

"Press your hand to the wound!" Aiden ordered before he started the car. "It works like a pressure band."

Emily did as commanded. And though she had pressed her hand firmly on her wound the whole drive, a pool of blood had already formed near her in the back seat. "Aiden..."

He turned quickly. "Oh God...!" he gasped out, as he saw the blood dripping slowly from the edge of the back seat to the floor. "Hold on, all right? There are only a few miles to the hospital. "

"I don't know... I can't..."

When her voice was only a whisper and then died, he knew, without turning around, that she had lost consciousness. It was not only Emily's life that was at stake, but also that of the unborn child. I have to save them both, he kept repeating over and over, as he pressed down the gas pedal and prayed for a miracle.