Farewell

Rebun Island, Japan

"We are gathered here to say goodbye to Aiden Mathis. He didn't have many friends in his lifetime, but those who knew him will always remember him and keep him in their hearts." Nolan cleared his throat before continuing his speech. "A far too short life is coming to an end. A life with many highs and even more lows. A life that couldn't find its fulfillment in this world. But Aiden believed in the rebirth of souls. And here, on Rebun Island, he had found a place of tranquility and retreat that he had missed somewhere else. It was his wish to find the last peace here, on this magical place." He folded his hands and lowered his head. "Every soul that is ascended will be a light in heaven. Consoling, glowing, giving joy. Every soul that rises is ultimately a light of life." He looked up into the faces of the guests who had appeared at Aiden's funeral. "May he find as a light the life, that he couldn't find on earth. Amen!"

Charlotte rubbed her eyes and was amazed to find tears. She had hardly known Aiden. He had been an employee of her father and later of Daniel. But the rivalry between the two men because of Emily had made a change from allies to enemies, who had now tried to kill each other. She shivered. She hadn't wanted him to die. She wouldn't want that to anyone. But if she had to choose between Aiden and Daniel, she would have always decided for her brother's life. Blood was thicker than water. Perhaps it was just the atmosphere at the funeral or Nolan's profound words that she had to fight with tears. She looked at the small mound of soil on which a small wooden cross was placed. Aiden Mathis was laid to rest near the beach, under a big rock. She wondered how Daniel was doing, and whether he was going to survive this. She would talk about it with Nolan later. And not just that. She wanted to find out more about Emily's past.

"It's over. We can go now."

Interrupted in her thoughts, she looked up, confused. In fact, they were almost alone in front of the small mound. All the others had already left. Except for a young woman with long, dark hair, who now knelt down and touched the small wooden cross slightly with her hand.

"That's Ava," Nolan whispered to her.

Charlotte remembered that he had mentioned her. So she was the woman who had helped Nolan. And apparently she had also been a friend of Aiden, because when she rose, Charlotte could see tears glistening in her eyes. She took a step towards her. "My condolences," she said sincerely, and held out her hand.

"Thank you." Ava looked at Nolan. "You probably know him better than I do, but I'm still shaken about what he's done," she said softly. "The Aiden, whom I had known all those months, had been a different one. We were friends." She shook her head. "But I also saw what he was capable of. How hatred and vengeance had changed him."

"Yeah, I noticed that myself," Nolan admitted.

"I met Emily before she went to the States," she continued. "She was obsessed with the idea of avenging her father, just like Aiden. And I believe..."

"Her father?" Charlotte interrupted, looking at her puzzled. "You knew her father?

Nolan felt his heart missing a beat. Exactly this shouldn't have happened! But how should Ava know that Charlotte had no idea of Emily's past and her desire to take revenge?

"No, I didn't." Ava frowned confused. "She just told me about him."

"That's interesting, because Emily has never really talked about her family." Charlotte tapped her forehead thoughtfully. "Or wait a minute... I think she said they died when she was a child. A car crash ..." She looked at Nolan, looking for help. "Yes, Daniel told me back then that they had died in a car accident."

Ava shook her head. "No, that's not true," she said, frowning. "Her father was murdered."

"Murdered?" Charlotte echoed, startled.

"Okay, I think it's time to go now," Nolan interrupted before Ava could reveal more secrets. "If we want to get the next ferry, we have to leave now." He reached out to Ava. "It was nice to know you," he said hastily. "And thank you again for your help." He wanted to turn away and leave as Ava grabbed his arm.

"Nolan, wait!" She loosened her grip slightly. "I'll come with you," she said firmly. "You were right. Taking revenge doesn't only destroy others but also yourself. I don't want to end up like Aiden. That is why I decided to put an end to everything. I think when I go with you, I have a good chance to start a new life, away from hatred and destruction."

He nodded mechanically as he could still feel Charlotte's confused and questioning gaze. He knew that if he allowed Ava to accompany them now, he would have to tell Charlotte about Emily's past sooner than later. A past that was inextricably linked with hers. Hesitantly, he stretched out his hand and took Ava's hand into his. "A good decision," he said slowly. "I'm sure you won't regret it." He glanced over at Aiden's graveside. "Farewell, my friend!" he said softly. And as they went back to the ferry, the red-hot sun disappeared behind the horizon.