Risky Plan

Southampton Police Departement, NY

"Daniel Grayson! You are free to go!"

Daniel was confused when a police officer stepped into his cell, took off his handcuffs, and led him outside. For a moment, he wondered how his father had managed to get him out of jail even before the hearing. But when he walked out, it was not his father who met him, but Nolan Ross.

"Surprise!"

"Nolan? What are you doing here?" Daniel asked, confused.

"Well, what does it look like? I gave you an alibi. You're free."

"Alibi?" Daniel repeated. "I don't understand. How did you even know I was here?"

"Thanks to the press, everyone knows it now. If you haven't noticed, you're the talk of the town."

"Great!" Daniel rolled his eyes sarcastically. "Just that kind of publicity I was looking for!" He looked at Nolan, frowning. "I still don't understand why you helped me. What did you say to the officers?"

Nolan took a deep breath. "Well, I told them you'd spent the night on my couch because you'd been too drunk to drive home."

"And they bought that after I had told them I slept in my car?" Daniel wondered.

Nolan shrugged. "I must have been more convincing than you." They had reached Nolan's car, and he made a welcoming gesture. "Jump in! I'll tell you everything when we're at my place."

Hesitantly, Daniel took a seat. And while he was still thinking about why Nolan had saved him from jail, they arrived at the mansion.

"First of all, you should take a long shower and shave," Nolan suggested. "You'll find everything in the bathroom."

When Daniel returned to the living room half an hour later, Nolan had provided canapes and drinks for them. He hesitantly took a canape and began to chew slowly.

"It's not poisoned," Nolan said, smirking. "I can imagine you're wondering what this is all about. And I'll explain it to you. But promise me one thing... What I'm telling you now is just between the two of us. No police! Got it?"

Daniel nodded mechanically and put the canape aside. "Go on."

Nolan took a deep breath. "I don't know where to begin, so I start with the most important ..." He stopped in the middle of the sentence and then started again. "Emily is doing well. She's on Rebun Island," he confessed. "Stay seated! I'm not done yet," he said quickly, when he saw Daniel trying to jump up. "Aiden Mathis kidnapped her, and I helped him."

"Aiden?" Daniel asked disbelieving. "But..."

"Don't interrupt me!" He cleared his throat. "On your wedding day, Emily wanted to stage her own death and elope with Aiden. But something or better ... someone came in between."

Daniel felt himself getting nervous. Was this now the moment to be honest, because Nolan told him the truth, too. He decided spontaneously. "It was me," he confessed then. "I shot Emily!"

For a moment, Nolan just looked at him before he nodded slowly. "Yes, I know. Emily told me."

"But ... then I don't understand why you got me out of jail." Daniel looked at him confused. "That doesn't make any sense at all."

"Because you didn't kidnap her," Nolan said simply. "If Emily can forgive you, then I can too."

"Has she?" Daniel frowned doubtfully.

Nolan nodded. "That is why you learn the whole truth." He took a deep breath. "Where was I? Oh, yes ... Aiden ... Well, he found her and took her to the Maldives, where he had rented a beach house. They wanted to live together there as husband and wife."

"So it was really a lie," Daniel murmured, looking at Nolan. "Our relationship, the wedding, the fake pregnancy, just everything ..."

Nolan nodded again. "Only she didn't know at that time that she was indeed pregnant. And then the amnesia ... That changed everything."

"I've felt all the time that she wasn't honest with me," Daniel said hesitantly. "That's why I wanted to end our relationship back then." He raised his head and looked at Nolan, frowning. "And now she's back with Aiden, as they originally had planned?"

"No." Nolan shook his head. "He brought her to Rebun Island against her will. He knows she hasn't any feelings for him and still wants to keep her there."

"I don't understand ..." Daniel murmured confused.

"She loves you, not him!" Nolan clarified. "After she had regained her memory, she realized that. She didn't like it at first, wanted to fight against her feelings, but in the end she chose you." He suddenly grinned. "Do you think I'd get you an alibi, if she wasn't in love with you? Emily is much more to me than just a good friend. She is family. And after I had already been responsible for the abduction, I had to make amends." He leaned back. "Well, now you know everything. Any questions?"

Daniel sank against the chair. "A million," he admitted. "But I think the main thing is to rescue Emily."

Nolan nodded. "The only problem is that there are only trained combatants on this island, with whom I can barely measure myself." He cleared his throat. "And we cannot ask the police for help." He rolled his eyes. "I really do everything for Emily, but I'm not going to jail for her. Not again anyhow ..." He sighed.

Daniel jumped up. "Do you have a gun?"

"You want to fight against Aiden?" He raised his eyebrows. "Don't! He kills you before you even put a foot on the island!"

"He's gotten a bullet from me before," Daniel said casually. "Who says it won't work again the second time?"

Nolan shook his head. "Without a reasonable plan, we can do nothing."

"I could ask my father for help," Daniel suggested. "He knows powerful people."

"I don't think that will help us." Nolan sighed. "There's a girl on the island that would help us, Ava Winters. Maybe she has a plan. She's on Emily's side, and she also knows Aiden. That could be an advantage."

"Then get in touch with her and ask her if she already has a plan," Daniel urged impatiently.

"I'm calling her immediately. But at first, I'll be in the bathroom. Make yourself at home meanwhile!"

Daniel waited until Nolan had disappeared into the bathroom, then took the car key and quickly left the house. Despite all plans, he couldn't wait that long. He had to do something instantly. When he got into Nolan's car, he had only one thing in mind: Rebun Island!