Anticipation

In front of the hotel

"Let's go to the hospital!"

"What are you up to?" Conrad Grayson looked at his wife, suspiciously.

"I'll prove to Daniel that Emily is a liar!" Victoria replied with determination.

"Do me a favor and don't intrude!" Even as he said the sentence, he realized that it was easier to hit his head against a brick wall. Once she set her head on doing something, nothing in the world could stop her. And the rivalry between Emily and her had been the main topic for many years. "And what if she actually lost her memory?" He dared an objection.

"You're also helping Daniel with his figment?" She looked at him reproachfully. "It's quite clear what she wants."

"And that would be?"

"She wants to worm her way into our family again. But this time she miscalculated. I won't allow her to come between my son and me again!"

"One could think that Daniel is your property." He rolled his eyes. "Our son is 26 years old. How long will you be holding hands with him?"

"You don't understand, Conrad. You only had your work in your head. You've never really been interested in the kids. I raised Daniel and Charlotte alone because you were too busy to carry on your father's business!"

"Of which you have also profited, haven't you?" He told her.

"I have never neglected my mother's duties."

"You were like a mother hen, especially controlling Daniel constantly, taking away the air to breathe!"

"I love my children!" She cried. "I would never do anything that'd hurt them."

"And yet you must constantly interfere in their lives," he reproached her.

"If you mean Emily Thorne then, yes, I'll never let her destroy his life."

"Emily Grayson," he corrected. "They are married. Besides, what about the fact he has also destroyed her life?"

Slowly Victoria turned to him. "If I had known about his intention, I would've taken the weapon and shot her myself."

He was too perplexed to reply. He knew Victoria was ruthless and would sell her own grandmother if needed. A characteristic that had been useful to him in the past. But this statement surprised even him.

"Are you coming now?" She cried impatiently.

He followed her, though everything in him was against it. He tried not to think about the consequences of his actions when he got into the car and started the engine.

IGM Hospital, Malé

Dr. Kulani immediately noticed that his patient was a bit depressed when he entered the room and saw her tear-stained face. Carefully, he approached the bed and looked at her, thoughtfully. "Emily, are you all right?"

She wiped her eyes hastily to expel the tears and then looked up at him. "Yes, thank you, I'm fine."

He knew she was lying and sat down on the chair in front of her bed and took her hand. "So what's going on? Don't you want to tell me?"

"He ... he didn't come back," she said, sobbing. "He probably already left and doesn't want to have anything to do with me."

Dr. Kulani immediately knew from whom Emily was speaking. "He's your husband," he said. "He can't just leave you. He probably has to overcome the shock that you can't remember your past."

Emily thought of the kiss and nodded. "Yes, that may be it," she said softly.

"Do you want to tell me what happened?"

She took a deep breath before confiding to the doctor. "We talked, and he told me that it was the day of our wedding when I was shot." She wiped a curl from her forehead. "And then ..." She stopped in the middle of the sentence.

"What then?" Dr. Kulani asked softly.

"He kissed me," she confessed after a moment of hesitation.

"And then you rejected him," he jumped to conclusions.

"No." Emily shook her head vigorously. "All the sudden, he jumped up and ran off. I don't know why. I didn't do anything. That was three days ago. I haven't heard from him ever since."

"And you think it was your fault?"

Emily nodded. "Who else?"

Dr. Kulani smiled all of a sudden. "Then I was right with my assumption that he is probably a little under shock. Seeing you again surely brought back memories and emotions that he has to deal with now." He looked at her thoughtfully. "What did you feel when he kissed you?"

Emily was smiling involuntarily. "It was ... nice, somehow ... familiar," she said softly.

"Then it sounds to me as if it was the right decision to return home." Dr. Kulani nodded contentedly.

"I don't know if he still wants that," Emily said sorrowfully.

"Whatever happens, maybe this will help you ..." He pulled out a brown envelope and put it on Emily's bedspread. "... to make a decision about your future."

"The paternity test?" She eyed the envelope anxiously, as if it were a poisonous insect and not a harmless piece of paper. "Please open it!" She pressed the envelope into the doctor's hand, with her eyes closed, waiting for the result that would change her life forever.