Return

Nolan's Mansion, Hamptons

Nolan thoughtfully pressed the red 'hang up' button and then began to dial again. It was not long before he had the person he wanted to talk to.

"Nolan? What's up?"

"Good to hear your voice, too, Aiden. There's actually news." He took a deep breath before continuing. "Emily is at the hospital."

"What?!"

"Don't panic! She is doing well so far," he said reassuring. "However, she had a premature delivery. Her little son is in an incubator because he was too weak to breathe on his own."

"How could that happen? I asked you to take care of her!"

"Don't blame me!" Nolan rolled his eyes. "She called me earlier from the hospital. The reason for the premature delivery was that her memory had suddenly returned."

"You mean she can remember everything that was before?"

"Exactly that," Nolan confirmed. "And you don't believe who shot her ..."

"Don't tease, just tell me, Nolan!"

Nolan took a deep breath. "No lesser than our Danny Boy."

"Daniel shot at Emily?!"

"Yes, and my response was the same when she told me." He shook his head slightly. "If I imagine that I had also encouraged her to throw herself at him." He sighed. "My knowledge of human nature failed. I truly believed he had feelings for her." He listened, then frowned. "Aiden, are you still there?"

"I'll kill the bastard if I get a hold of him!"

"Relax! Another criminal act is the last thing you can use. We should trust Emily. She will see about it."

"From the hospital bed? How is she supposed to do that? No, I have a better idea ..."

"I can't wait to hear your idea," said Nolan, sighing.

"I need your help!"

"Sure, if I can."

"I'll take the next plane back. You have to take me to the hospital without someone noticing. You surely have such a hacker program, that gives you access to all rooms, right? I'll get her out of there!"

"You know me too well." Nolan grinned, but then became serious again. "Thanks to the intranet, I have access to all areas of the hospital. I can even see her medical record and make changes."

"It's always good to have a computer specialist in the house."

"Thank you!" Nolan bowed slightly. "But as much as I would like to help you with your plan, I don't think Emily goes along voluntarily."

"Then I have to use force."

Nolan raised the eyebrows in surprise. "You will kidnap her?"

"Something like that. She'll be grateful for freeing her off the hands of the Graysons."

"Or she will hate you," Nolan interjected. "May I remind you that Emily is now a Grayson?"

"Only on paper. That doesn't count."

"What's going to happen to the little one?" Nolan asked.

"If he is still in the incubator, he stays better where he is now."

"You want to separate Emily from her baby?" Nolan nodded disbelievingly. "She will never allow that."

"Like I said, she has no choice. So, will you help me now?"

"Okay, yeah, I'll help you," Nolan agreed. "I'm doing this only because I think she should better avoid Daniel and his family."

"Especially Daniel, that sonofabitch! She should turn him in, so that he can rot in prison!"

"Boy oh boy, you have a bad mood! Don't forget where pure hate can bring you. Try to keep a cool head." He cleared his throat. "Where do you want to take her, after the abduction?"

"I'll take her to Rebun Island. Takeda and some of his students will take care of her."

"Yes, I think that could work." Nolan nodded contentedly. "Nobody will find or suspect her there."

"I'll finish and book the next plane. Be ready!"

"I'm always ready," Nolan grinned. "I'll call Emily and tell her about your plan."

"Don't! I want to surprise her."

"As you wish. But it might be that she's not so much looking forward to seeing you again, as you do," Nolan said cautiously.

"Because she can't remember us being a couple?"

"No, she knows. It's because she still has feelings for Daniel."

"Did she say that?"

"She didn't need to. The way she talked about him was a clear indication. She has no intention to report him. She said she could never look into her son's eyes again if she put his father in jail."

"Her damned stubbornness!"

"More likely her past as Amanda Clarke," Nolan clarified. "She doesn't want her child to experience the same; to grow up with only one parent."

"Thanks for the warning, Nolan. But once she's back with me, she sure will see things differently. She will remember what we had and forget the Graysons once and for all."

Aiden had already finished the conversation, when Nolan was still mulling over his words. He hoped that his friend was right and Emily would go back to him. But doubts remained. He remembered a conversation with her where she had confessed to him that she still loved Daniel. But perhaps her feelings had changed, after she'd learned that he had been the one who shot her. However, he had now to make preparations for her 'abduction'. Sighing, he rose, went to his laptop and opened it.