Exitus

Rebun Island, Japan

He had no time to think when he saw Emily jumping in front of him, probably with the intention of receiving the bullet herself. It was milliseconds that would decide over life and death. He cast a desperate glance at Nolan, who understood and immediately reacted. He jumped towards Emily, grabbed her arm, and dragged her aside before the bullet found its destination. The force of the projectile, which was drilled into his chest, made him stagger back a few steps. But although the onset of pain almost took the air to breathe, he managed to pull his gun out of the pocket and pointed it at Aiden, who hadn't expected a counter-defense. At least this could be seen in his disbelieving facial-expression, before he fell lifeless on the ground, hit by Daniel's bullet.

He heard Charlotte's horrified outcry and gradually realized what had happened. If he had been acting mechanically before, he now noticed the tightness in his chest, making it almost impossible to breathe. He placed his hand on the spot where the bullet had hit him and felt something sticky and wet, his blood that constantly seeped from a deep wound and slowly stained his shirt and jacket. Before he slumped to the ground, he saw Emily running towards him. She lives! Was everything he could think at that moment. It was worth to die by saving her.

The moment she knelt down next to him, he thought that he wouldn't witness his son growing up. He would never be able to hold his beautiful wife in his arms, tell her how much he loved her. He forced himself to keep his eyes open, although sleep seemed like a release at that moment.

"Why did you come back here?" Emily sobbed. "Why didn't you listen to me and wait in the hostel?" She pulled his head to her legs.

"How long does it take for a doctor to be here?" Charlotte asked in a trembling voice as she stared down at her brother with a pale face.

Nolan shook his head and pulled out his cell phone. "I'm calling a rescue helicopter," he said firmly and began to dial.

"Did you hear that? Help is on the way." Emily said desperately, pressing her hand against his wound. "You can do it!"

His mouth twitched slightly. "You ... promised ... no more ... lies," he whispered and was interrupted by a coughing fit.

"Don't talk!" Emily ordered as she wiped a trickle of blood from his chin that had come with the coughing.

Nolan walked over to Aiden and stared down at him.

"Is he ... dead?" Charlotte stepped up beside him, her arms wrapped around her body.

Nolan nodded. He knelt down and slid Aiden's eyelids over the stiff-eyed pupils.

"Where is the rescue helicopter?" Emily sobbed and looked at Daniel, who had closed his eyes. "No, don't fall asleep!" she said urgently, shaking him slightly.

He was so tired, too tired, to stay awake. Breathing became more and more difficult, and he felt his blood pumping out of him with every heartbeat. He reached for Emily's hand. "Tell ... Julian ... I ..."

"No!" Tears of despair ran down her cheeks. "You won't leave me alone! Do you hear me! You will fight and stay alive!"

He raised his hand and touched her cheek. "I ... love ... you ..." He gave up the fight, because he had no more strength. He would have liked to tell her so much more. He closed his eyes and fell into the redeeming darkness.

"No!" Emily's sobs and screams were reflected from the high rock walls. She began to yank at him helplessly until Nolan pulled her away from the lifeless body and took her gently into his arms.

"He's gone," he said quietly, while he himself had to struggle with tears. He looked at Charlotte, who was under shock, just standing there staring down at her lifeless brother.

"He mustn't die ..." Emily pressed her face against Nolan's chest while her body was shaken by convulsive sobbing. "How am I supposed to live without him?"

He stroked over her hair and back. "You still have Julian," he said softly.

They looked up as they suddenly heard the steady sound of helicopter wings. The rescue helicopter was approaching.

Finally! Nolan thought. But it was too late. They parted as the helicopter sank slowly downwards and then landed directly in front of the landing. He gently took Emily's arm. "Come, they take care of everything." He thought of bringing Daniel's body back to the States where he could be buried there. But before he could pass the order to the paramedics, he saw a ferry approaching the island again. He paid little attention. It was not until he heard Charlotte's exclamation that he looked up.

"Mom ... Dad?!"