Revelation

Grayson Manor, Hamptons

"Where is he?" Victoria paced back and forth in her daughter's bedroom, waiting impatiently for her answer.

"I told you he'd stay with a friend," Charlotte said slowly. Even to her, Daniel's lie sounded too far-fetched to be true.

"What friend?" Victoria took a step towards her daughter and grabbed her arms roughly. "Charlotte, it's important, what friend?"

"I ... don't know," she stammered. "He... didn't tell me. Ouch! You're hurting me!"

Victoria let go of her abruptly. "I've called him dozens of times. It's very unlike him to ignore my calls!"

"Daniel is old enough to make his own decisions," Charlotte said, raising her head a bit higher. "And it's not only Daniel."

"I'll deal with you later!" Victoria spat out. "This is about your brother."

"What is so important that you need to speak with him?" Charlotte asked frowning.

"You were in the kitchen with him when he told about Emily, weren't you?" She asked reproachfully.

"Yes, I was, but..."

"You're so naive, Charlotte! Did you think he'd lied to you when he told you he had killed her?"

"He ... he never would do that," she stuttered. "You don't really believe what he said!"

Victoria straightened up to her full size in front of her daughter. "I don't believe it, I know it. I saw him on deck, and when I heard the gunshot, everything was clear to me."

"No ..." Charlotte backed away until she felt the edge of the bed. "I don't believe that. Daniel is not a murderer!"

"Not willingly, but he shot her, what is probably the same."

"Oh God..."

"What is it?" Victoria asked alarmed, when she saw her daughter turn pale.

"Two ... two police officers were here, and ..."

"Where is he?" Victoria interrupted her.

"Please Mom!" she begged. "I promised Daniel not to say anything."

"Are you aware that the life of your brother is at stake?! Do you want him to go to jail for a murder that he just committed because of Emily?" She said angrily.

"Emily is alive! She is not dead," Charlotte confessed.

"Come again?"

"She's alive," Charlotte repeated. "The police officers were here to tell him."

"Where did they take him?" Victoria continued her interrogation.

"I ... I have no idea. He packed a few things and went with them voluntarily."

Victoria clasped her hands over her head. "I can't stop to keep sight of you!" She moaned. "What's going on in Daniel's head, that he turns himself in freely? I begged him not to do anything rush. And what happened? He's probably already in jail because Emily had reported him to the police." She turned away. "I have to call your father. He has enough influence to avoid arrest."

"Mom .. please ...!" Charlotte sank down on the bed.

"What?"

"I am sorry! If I had known before, I would have never let him go!" Charlotte said with tears in her eyes.

"Your remorse is a little late, my dear child! You should have thought of that before."

With these words Victoria walked out, leaving a weeping Charlotte behind.

The Choices We Make (Revenge)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara