Talk

IGM Hospital, Malé

The closer Daniel came to Emily's room, the more tense he became. What could he tell her? How would she react when he told her he knew about the baby? And then there was the issue with his mother and the kiss he better shouldn't even mention. There was, however, another matter that concerned him. How had Emily come to the Maldives? He hadn't asked her so far. And maybe she didn't know either because of her blackout. He just couldn't help it. He had to go in now and face his fears. He knocked and opened the door.

"Hey!"

Her smile warmed his soul. He could remember that there had already been a time when she had smiled at him in the same way; Right at the beginning of their relationship. He hesitantly approached her and took a seat next to her bed. "Hey!" He greeted back and smiled as well. "Dr. Kulani told me you can go home," he began the conversation because he couldn't think of anything better. Everything was better than to remind her of the kiss, which, admittedly, he still felt embarrassed about.

"Yes, isn't it great?"

Her eyes are shining, he thought. And how wonderful she looked in this very moment. It was true what one say that a pregnancy made women more beautiful. He nodded. "As soon as you're released from the hospital, you'll be staying with us." He saw her frowning questioningly. "With 'us' I mean, Grayson Manor, my parent's house," he clarified.

"We lived at your parent's house?" She asked surprised.

He sighed inwardly. Of course, she had no idea where they had lived before. He could have told her about the beach house, but this belonged to Nolan now. A deal he regretted. He nodded again. "It's a large house with many rooms."

"Yes, I can imagine." She suddenly grinned. "You know, I've been researching the Graysons on the Internet. I didn't know anything about you, although I am a Grayson, too. And it was very interesting to read with what you earn your money." She tilted her head slightly. "I know what you do, but what did I do? Where did I work? Did I have any hobbies?" She inquired curiously.

Daniel shook his head, smiling. "I have no idea. As you know by your research, I was working a lot and wasn't at home very often. I don't know what you did in your free time." He noticed that she was suddenly twisting one of her ringlets nervously. "Don't worry. We'll find something for you to do," he said quickly.

Emily smiled, but this time it didn't reach her eyes, he recognized immediately. Had he said something wrong?

"The woman who was in your room ...", he quickly started a new subject. "She's my mother."

"Your mother?"

"I don't know what she told you, but she certainly didn't want to upset you." It was a lie because he knew what she was capable of.

"She thought I knew who she was, so she told me that she was the last person who saw me before I went overboard." She shook her head slightly. "I really can't remember anything. I wish I could. "

Daniel forced a smile. Better she wouldn't, he thought. "You mustn't force anything. Certainly you will remember soon. I'll help you." A lie, again. And this time he wanted to be honest with her.

"Perhaps it will help to come home again, in a familiar environment."

"Maybe ..." He cleared his throat. "Can you remember how you came here? I mean, the Maldives are not very close to the Hamptons."

"No. I ... can't remember anything. I think a fishing boat found me and brought me here. I just woke up in the hospital."

She avoided his gaze, or did he just imagine it? Did she lie? Could she remember? "You were unconscious all the time?"

She nodded.

He had to leave it at that. Too much pressure would lead to a mental breakdown again. The last thing he wanted.

"What did Dr. Kulani tell you in addition?"

He lowered his head. But apparently Emily had a sixth sense.

"He told you about the baby?"

He nodded and looked at her directly. "He told me because he was worried. And he thought, because I'm the father, I should know about it."

"I think it's better that way," she said softly. "You would have learned about it anyway soon." She looked at him thoughtfully. "Did you know that I was... I mean before I ..."

She had stopped in the middle of the sentence, but he knew exactly what she had wanted to say. Again, he remembered the moment she had showed him the ultrasound image. At that time he had believed her and had ended the relationship with Sara. But the conversation between her and his mother had changed everything. Had it been a lie? Had she intentionally risked the pregnancy to avenge herself on his mother? There were still so many questions left unanswered and perhaps would remain unanswered forever.

"Daniel?"

"What?"

"Did you know about the pregnancy?"

"No." And again a lie, or maybe not? He didn't know what to reply. He probably had to learn to live with her past as a black hole. He saw how she took an image from the bedside table, and for a moment he held his breath. Just like way back a few months ago, he thought, as he stared at the ultrasound photo. But this time, he knew, it was real. With a slightly trembling hand he traced the embryo's blurred outline.

"It's so unreal, isn't it?" She said. "Even for me. Although I am reminded every day."

He looked at her in surprise. "Every day?" He repeated.

She nodded, smiling. "I'm sick every morning." She sighed and put her hands over her stomach. "Dr. Kulani already said that I'm the only pregnant woman who loses but doesn't gain weight."

"We should change that, I think." It was only then that he realized that she had lost a lot of weight.

"I want to fly home and get my old life back."

He looked at her for a moment, thoughtfully. He had to admit that he liked the Emily, who had lost her memory, better than the one from the past who had often responded to him with cynicism and offish behavior. He remembered how she'd cheated on him, with Jack and also Aiden Mathis. And there were many secrets she had kept to herself. He took the ultrasound photo and put it back on the side table. "The first baby picture for the family album," he said smiling. He saw Emily yawning and stood up. "I should let you sleep now."

She nodded, while she suppressed a yawn again. "It's the hormones," she said apologetically. "I could sleep all day."

"Then sleep well!" He bent down and kissed her lightly on the cheek before he left the room.

Emily breathed a sigh of relief. She was disappointed that he had given her only a cheek kiss, but all in all the conversation had been better than expected. He had asked a lot of questions, but she had apparently given him the right answers so that he hadn't become suspicious. Perhaps she would tell him someday how she had really come to the Maldives and her rescue. But she was not ready yet. Besides, she still didn't know in which relation Aiden stood to the Graysons. She didn't believe his lie that he was a friend of Daniel. They were as different as dogs and cats. And if she really had had a romantic relationship with Aiden, then it was certainly not helpful to tell Daniel about it. She shook her head slightly. What kind of person had she been cheating on her husband behind his back? After she had met Daniel, she understood it lesser and lesser. Suddenly a thought flashed through her mind. There was one person who knew the answers to her questions. And that person was... Nolan Ross!