Worry

Emily's beach house

"How is she?" Daniel asked anxiously after the doctor had examined Emily.

"I gave her a mild sedative," he said. "She'll sleep for a while."

"And the baby?" Charlotte asked concerned.

The doctor looked at her thoughtfully. "That's what I'm worried about. Stress for the mother also causes stress for the baby, which can lead to a premature birth." He looked at Daniel sympathetically. "A baby born in the 24th week of pregnancy has little to no chance of survival."

"Can we help her somehow?" Conrad interjected.

The doctor nodded. "Now that you can never tell when she will get another memory flashback, it would be good if someone was around all the time. If she gets into this state of shock once more, medical help is required," he emphasized again.

"Maybe it would be better if she moved back into the manor." Charlotte quickly looked at her parents. "Mom, Dad, what do you think?"

"As far as I'm concerned." Victoria shrugged her shoulders casually. "She can sleep in the guest room again." She looked at her son. "Daniel, do you agree?"

He nodded tiredly. "Yes, I think it's better if she's not alone. I'm often busy in the editorial office and can't always leave immediately."

The doctor nodded contentedly. "Very well then. There is our solution." He looked at Daniel with a serious face. "It's important that every stress is avoided. She needs rest."

"Then the wedding falls through," Charlotte said visibly disappointed.

"It was a crazy idea anyway," Victoria interrupted, rolling her eyes. She threw back her long hair. "Do you already have a name for your son?" She turned to Daniel.

He shook his head mechanically.

"Well, I think you should find one soon, given the circumstances, that she can lose..."

"Victoria!" Conrad interrupted his wife. "I think we should leave Daniel and Emily alone now." He took her forearm. "And you, Charlotte, please come along, too!"

She nodded devotedly and then leaned forward to give her brother a kiss on the cheek. "Don't worry, Danny! Emily and the baby will be fine," she said consolingly.

"And I'll go, too," the doctor said, reaching for Daniel's hand. "If you need me, give me a call!"

"Can I ... see her now?" He asked reluctantly.

The doctor nodded. "Before she fell asleep, she had asked for you." He smiled. "I think she'll be happy to see you when she wakes up the next time."

Daniel exchanged a meaningful look with Charlotte. Both of them probably thought the same thing. Had Emily seen who shot her? When everyone had left, he went slowly upstairs to the bedroom. She lay there like Sleeping Beauty. Her long blond hair, fanning around her rosy face. She looked peaceful, presumably because of the sedative that the doctor had given her. He sat hesitantly on the edge of the bed and stared down at her. How could we go on with our lives when her memory would return completely? He asked himself. Would she still want to live with me at all? And what would happen to the baby? He carefully pushed the blanket back and laid his hand gently on her protruding belly. "I'm so sorry," He murmured. "It's all my fault." Startled, he jerked as Emily put her hand over his.

"Daniel?" She whispered asleep.

"I'm here." He held onto her hand. "How are you?" He asked, then, in a slightly trembling voice.