Devotion

Rebun Island, Japan

Rebun Island was beautiful, Daniel noticed surprised, while he ferried from the mainland to the small island. Nestled between large, gray rocks, lay the green fauna, covered with a fine snow. And somewhere between the rocks was the wide sea. A wild, original nature that could inspire a painter. He had to smile all of a sudden when he remembered it was Emily's way of describing things that she liked and wanted to keep in her memory. He wondered how their first meeting would be after their last talk full of accuses. Could he trust Nolan's words that Emily had really forgiven him? Was there actually a future for them? He wanted nothing more than to create a home for her and Julian. As he looked, lost in thoughts, over to the island, he suddenly remembered one day, three years ago, when she had given him a collection of poems ...

"On the night of our first date, you recited an Oliver Wendell Holmes poem to me. Do you remember? 'Where we love is home. Home that our feet may leave, but not our hearts.' Ever since that night I've been collecting poems that remind me of you. We haven't known each other for a long time, but you already feel like home to me."

Could it be that she had said the truth? He had been so engrossed in his own thoughts that he hadn't noticed that the ferry had landed. He thanked the ferryman with a nod and then stepped on the island. He had no idea where to go from here. He hadn't learned of Emily's actual location from Nolan. That was why he took the map out and studied the area. Distracted, he looked up as someone was calling his name.

"Daniel..."

He almost couldn't recognize her in her cloak and her hooded head. But when she looked up at him, her eyes wet with tears, he knew that he had reached his goal. "E-Emily ..." he stammered. But he didn't come further when she threw herself into his arms and hugged him tightly. A little stunned by her attack, he began to pat her back helplessly. Everything seemed suddenly forgotten; Their heated argument in the hospital, the accusations, just everything. They were only two people who had finally found each other again after a long time. Gently, he cupped her chin and looked deeply into her eyes. "I thought I lost you again," he said softly, then lowered his mouth to her lips. A warm feeling of happiness flowed through him as she returned the kiss. Nolan hadn't lied. Emily truly loved him. He didn't know how long they had just stood there, embracing and kissing, but finally Emily stepped back and gave him a serious look.

"We can't stay here," she said, looking around tensely. "If Aiden finds you here ..." She didn't finish the sentence.

"I'm not afraid of him. Let him come!" Daniel pulled the weapon, he had bought before his departure, out of his jacket pocket, that Emily could see that he was not defenseless.

"Are you nuts?" She pushed the gun back into his pocket. "You can't walk around here with a loaded gun! How did you even get through the security check?"

"I took the business jet," he explained, smirking. "This is clearly an advantage when you want to smuggle things that would otherwise be found at the security control." He looked at her worried. "Are you okay?" he asked concerned.

Emily nodded. "The surgical cut has healed well. They took good care of me." She caressed his cheek tenderly. "What about you? I know you were in jail. Aiden showed me the news article."

"That bastard!" Daniel clenched his hands to fists. "I'll kill him, if he laid a finger on you!"

"Stop it!" She reached for his arm. "He didn't do me any harm. He never would do that. He ... still has feelings for me."

"Yeah..." Daniel clenched his jaw. "Nolan told me everything," he said. "You and Aiden and your marvelous plan to start a new life on the Maldives." He rolled his eyes sarcastically. "All the time I had this odd feeling that there was more between you and him. But you laughed at me, told me that I was just imagining things."

"I'm sorry." She lowered her head guiltily. "I've done a lot of bad things that I regret now." She reached for his hand. "The most important thing is that I'm a different person now. I don't love Aiden anymore! I had the choice, and I chose you, Daniel!" she said urgently.

Just as Nolan predicted, Daniel thought. "Completely, without any regrets?" He asked doubtingly.

"If you talk about our wedding day and the shooting, then yes, I've forgiven you." She nodded, then wrapped her arms around his neck again. "What do I have to do to make you believe and trust me again?"

"A kiss wouldn't be bad for the start," he grinned, bending down to her, until their lips found each other again.

"I have to go back now," she said after interrupting the passionate kiss.

"Why don't we wait for the next ferry and then disappear together?" He suggested.

Emily shook her head regretfully. "I can't. Nolan and Charlotte are on their way," she confessed.

"What?" Daniel shouted, looking at her bewildered. "That Nolan would follow me is no surprise, but Charlotte...?"

"Do you get now why I can't just leave?"

He nodded. Everything would have been so simple, he thought. But he could understand that she didn't want to endanger Nolan and Charlotte. Especially since he had learned from Nolan, what Aiden was capable of. He sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "And what am I doing now?"

"There is a hostel nearby. "Emily hugged him again. "You're safe there."

"And what about you?" He asked, frowning.

"Nothing's going to happen to me. As long as Aiden is not suspicious, everything is all right. I just hope he won't get suspicious before Nolan and Charlotte show up here."

"I have a bad feeling about this." He reached for her hand. "Promise me to be careful!"

Instead of an answer, she pulled him closer and kissed him gently. "I won't do anything that will threaten our future," she promised, breaking away from him. "And now go! You can find the way to the hostel on your map."

Reluctantly, he let her go and then looked at his map. Since the island was not very big, he quickly found what he was looking for. Sighing, he folded the map and set off to find the only hostel on the island.