Despair

IGM Hospital, Malé

"Please let me go!" Emily begged as she tried to get out of Dr. Kulani's firm grip. But her efforts were in vain, she was too weak. Tears of despair were running down her cheeks. "Please ... I have to find her!"

Dr. Kulani looked at the nurse, who had just finished her work, to give Emily a new infusion. "Can you tell me what happened here?" He asked with a serious look.

The nurse shrugged. "I don't know for sure. When I came into the room, she was already ..." She quickly looked over at Emily. "... on the ground. A woman was here before. She was probably early 50, tall, very elegant, long, dark hair." She thought for a moment. "She looked familiar to me."

Dr. Kulani frowned at his patient, who was still sobbing quietly. "Emily," he said gently. "What did this woman want?"

"She ... she knows me from the past," she said. "She was on the yacht when someone shot me." Again, she collected all her strength and pushed the blanket vigorously. "I have to look for her! She probably knows who wanted to kill me!"

"Calm down, please!" Dr. Kulani held on to her arms. "You don't want that your wound open up again, now do you?"

"But I can't stay here!" Emily looked at the doctor with tears in her eyes. "Please let me go!" she begged again.

Dr. Kulani shook his head. "You are far too weak to run around outside. And think about the baby." He looked at her with a serious face. "Twice we could save its life, but I can't guarantee for anything if you don't calm down now!"

Emily gave up the resistance and let herself sink back powerlessly. "She's my only chance," she said weakly. "If she tells me who shot me, I'll get my memory back."

"That's not how it works, Emily," Dr. Kulani said, shaking his head sympathetically. "I explained it to you."

"You said that sometimes an event can trigger the memory. If I know who the shooter was, I will certainly remember everything."

"Emily ..." Dr. Kulani slightly touched her arm and was amazed when she reached for his hand.

"Please ...!" Again tears streamed down her cheeks. "I want my old life back!" She sobbed. She rolled over and pressed her face into the pillow.

"Give her a mild sedative," Dr. Kulani told the nurse when he noticed that Emily's body was starting to twitch under her convulsions. He stroked her cheek slightly, then frowned. "She has a fever!" He concluded. Carefully he rolled her back on the back and checked the bandage.

"It's probably the nerves," the nurse said, looking at Emily sympathetic. "It must be terrible not to know who you are," she said softly, only for the doctor's ears.

He nodded as he looked thoughtful at his patient who gradually became drowsy by the sedative. "We have to do another ultrasound examination immediately," he ordered. "After everything she went through, it would kill her to lose the baby."

"Who's the father?" The nurse asked curiously.

Dr. Kulani gave her a stern look. "You are here long enough to know that such information is confidential."

"Of course I know." She cleared her throat. "But you do know, don't you?"

Dr. Kulani nodded hesitantly as he looked down at the sleeping Emily with a thoughtful look. "That's why I want her not to lose the baby." With this cryptic note, he left the room to prepare everything necessary for further examinations.

Grayson Manor, Hamptons

Charlotte just came back from swimming when she met Nolan Ross at the front door. Even though he was not one of her friends, he was always a welcome guest. He and Emily were close friends and he had even led her to the altar on the fateful day. She guessed the reason he was here was because he had heard the news that Emily was still alive.

"Hi Nolan!" She greeted him and opened the door. "If you want to see my parents or Daniel, they aren't here."

"I know." He entered the house and looked around. "This is where Emily is going to live when she returns to the Hamptons," he mused.

Charlotte dropped the towel with which she had just rubbed her long hair. "You know it, huh?"

Nolan nodded. "Who doesn't? Meanwhile the news about Emily's appearance is on all TV channels."

Charlotte put the towel on the sofa and sat down. "Yes, the dear press," she said thoughtfully. "If Daniel was here, you would certainly find an article about her in the 'Voulez' as well."

"I thought this is Margaux's responsibility?" He asked surprised as he sat down beside Charlotte.

"Yes, but after what happened with Emily, she needed a vacation. She's in Paris."

"And Daniel is on the Maldives?"

"He ... and my parents, too," Charlotte said. "I think Danny won't be too enthusiastic about it, but well ..." She shrugged. "He knows them long enough to know that she must always have everything under control."

"You speak of your mother?"

"Who else?" Charlotte rolled her eyes. "Dad is usually very chill. I mean, not always. But at least he doesn't follow people like a shadow."

"Well ..." Nolan reached into his pocket and pulled out a key ring. "The reason why I'm here." He put it on the table.

"This is the key to Emily's beach house!" Charlotte said surprised. She looked at him frowning. "I thought Daniel sold it to you?"

"He did," Nolan confirmed. "But he only did it because he thought Emily was dead." He took a deep breath. "Well, as we know now, she is fresh as a daisy, and I think she should get it back."

Charlotte took the key and smiled. "A truly generous gift. She'll be happy about it."

Nolan stood up. "All right then, I won't keep you from whatever you want to do."

"I have nothing better to do." She also jumped up and stared at the wet spot that had formed. "Oops! Mom is going to kill me!"

Nolan laughed. "If you want to leave her shadow, you should show more self-confidence, Charlotte. A little bit of water doesn't hurt."

"You're right! Take care, Nolan! And thanks for the tip." She gestured to the stairs. "I have to get dressed now."

He looked at her for a moment, smiling, before taking the path back to his mansion.