Reunion

Grayson Manor, Hamptons

"He took the business jet."

Victoria thought she had misheard while she clutched the phone tighter.

"He flew to the Maldives," Conrad continued, not getting any response from his wife. "Victoria? Are you still there?"

"Yes ... yes, sure." Nervously, she ran a hand over her forehead. "Can you find out what he wants there?"

"Well, I guess it's because of Emily."

"Obviously. The question is, what's she doing there? And the even better question is what Daniel wants over there?"

"I called the police. It's true, Emily is alive. She's in a hospital. Would you like the address?"

"You have the address and didn't think it was necessary to call me back?" She panted out angrily. "How long have you known?"

"Not very long. Since your last, hysterical call, I've done nothing else than ringing around and finding out where our son is. There is enough work on my desk. A little gratitude would be nice."

"I thought maybe it is also in your interest to find out where he is. After all, we cannot allow him to turn himself in and go to jail. Think of your reputation, what it means in your position to have a son who has become a criminal!"

"It wouldn't be the first time."

"Save it, Conrad! I have enough to deal with Daniel's current problems. I don't have time to deal with things that happened in the past!"

"Do you have anything to write?"

Victoria reached for a sheet of paper and a pen, and began to scribble down the address that Conrad gave her. "I need a plane immediately!" She said resolutely.

"Don't you think you're a little rash? I mean Daniel is old enough. Maybe we should wait for him to call us and tell us what's going on. He'll be flying back soon ... "

"If they haven't already arrested him," Victoria interrupted. "I won't stand idly and wait when I can be active myself. You know I'm not the person to leave something to chance."

"Yes, unfortunately ... Well, fine, wait for me. I organize everything and then we'll meet later. We'll go there together."

"That won't be necessary because I ..."

"Can't you not have the last word for once, Victoria! Daniel is also my son! And his well-being is near and dear to me as well. So I'll go with you. Discussion over!"

She was too perplexed to reply, so she finished the conversation and then went to the bedroom to pack a travel bag for her stay on the Maldives.

IGM Hospital, Malé

Daniel felt as if he'd been back to the summer, three years ago, when he'd seen Emily for the first time, at his parents' party on Memorial Day. She had spilled her drink on his jacket, and they had started a conversation afterwards. He had been fascinated by her from the beginning. That's why he had not left anything untried to see her again. And fate had actually meant good to him. Emily had always crossed his path. She even had bought the beach house, that was located a few yards away from Grayson Manor. And finally, she had found her way not only into his family, but also into his heart. All things she can't remember, he thought, as he squeezed her hand. "Daniel!"

"Please, sit down!" Emily gestured to a chair next to the bed. "I know that Dr. Kulani talked to you about me," she started the conversation.

Daniel nodded.