Happiness

Grayson Manor, Hamptons

"What is in Daniel's mind asking her again to marry him?" Victoria said enraged while pacing back and forth in her husband's bedroom. "And furthermore he expects from us to give her a party!"

"I thought you liked her a bit better," Conrad said, tying his tie. "At least you were pretty shocked when you learned that she was actually suffering from amnesia."

"That doesn't mean I approve of their relationship," she explained. "Emily Thorne ... pardon ... Grayson ... is only tolerated here until she regains her memory."

"And if she won't?" Conrad asked. "What then? Are you going to throw her out and your son and grandson as well?"

She raised her eyebrows. "That remains to be proved. I know you're already making plans for Daniel's offspring. Understandable, because your father did the same with you, or you with Daniel. But what if it's a girl?"

"I don't care, even if you don't believe me, Victoria," he said emphatically. "Only Daniel's happiness is important."

"Since when?" She laughed mockingly. "I can remember very well how you have smartly prevented him from becoming a writer just because you needed him for your business. He wanted to write poems. That was what he wanted, which would have made him happy. But no, you had to send him to business school, so you could use him at Grayson Global," she said accusingly.

"Those were other times," he tried to justify and took a step back.

"It's just seven years ago." She rolled her eyes. "And now you will do the same with his son. But I warn you, Conrad! Perhaps you can still manipulate Daniel, but you can't do that with Emily."

He pulled his jacket over and looked at himself in the mirror. "She's calmer now," he said thoughtfully. "Somehow ... more submissive."

"She's a wolf in sheep's clothing," she said contemptuously. "And I'm just waiting for her memory to come back and finish us!"

"I was skeptical at first, but now I believe she truly loves our son."

"Yes, as long as she can't remember that he was the one who shot her!" She said sarcastically. "I've watched her the last few weeks. There are more and more things she can remember." She threw back her long hair and looked him in the eye. "She's like a ticking time bomb. And for that reason, I'm not exactly happy that Daniel wants to throw away his whole life for her!"

He gave her an indignant look. "You can spoil any fun, Victoria! And I had been looking forward to a party in occasion of their second wedding." A memory came suddenly to his mind, and he smirked. "Do you remember how we married a second time?"

"Don't remind me." She wrinkled her nose. "You see that a marriage promise is not a guarantee of eternal happiness."

"I don't know what you want," he said, shrugging. "We live, more or less peacefully, under one roof."

"Yes, in separate bedrooms," she said, rolling her eyes.

"We can chance that any time, if only you would give me a clear sign," he said, smirking.

Disgusted, she turned away. "Come on, Conrad! I know you've been a little... needy since Lydia's escape. But let it be clear to you, I am not your substitute!" As she ran out of the room, his laughter followed her to her bedroom.

Dr. Rosen's Office

"Congratulations! It'll be a boy!"

Emily knew before she'd seen Daniel's eyes that his greatest wish had come true. A son, an heir for the Grayson empire. She looked at him with a smile, while his gaze was glued on the monitor, where one could clearly see the outline of a tiny human being. She reached for his hand and squeezed it slightly. Only now did he seem to notice her at all. Stunned, she found that his eyes were gleaming damp as he looked at her.

"I thought you were glad that it was a boy. Or would you prefer a girl?"

He answered her question by bending down to her and gently touching her lips with his. "I love our baby," he said, looking deep into her eyes. "No matter if boy or girl. And I love you!"

Dr. Rosen cleared his throat. "I can imagine what wonderful news this must be for your parents, Mr. Grayson."

Emily watched as Daniel rolled his eyes annoyed. Of course, everyone here knew who he was and what to expect from him. This included the son and heir who would take over the Grayson company in the future. "And everything is all right with the baby?" She quickly interjected.

"Everything looks very good." Dr. Rosen nodded contentedly. "The measurements of the fetus are exactly the same as the gestation week." He looked at the chart and then nodded. "16 weeks", he confirmed again. He looked down at Emily. "Any discomfort, bleeding, feeling of sickness?"

She shook her head. "Nothing at all. And the best thing is that I don't feel any sickness."

Dr. Rosen smiled and then wiped the gel off Emily's belly. "Then all the best!" He quickly printed out the ultrasound image and handed it to her. "I'll see you in four weeks."

"Now we can begin to furnish the nursery," was the first thing Daniel came to mind after they had left the doctor's office.

"And we can find a few names in Charlotte's book," Emily smiled.

Daniel looked at her thoughtfully. "You mean the first name, because the second is already fixed."

"Why?" Emily asked, surprised.

"So, according to the tradition of the Grayson family, the grandson always gets the name of the grandfather as his second name." He cleared his throat. "That's why I'm called Daniel Edward Grayson."

"Conrad?!", she panted aghast, as she realized the meaning. "No way! There is no suitable first name to go with Conrad."

Daniel laughed about her statement. "Thankfully, we still have a few months left to decide," he said, smirking. "And now ..." He put his arms around her ..., "let's go baby-shopping!"

It's the perfect day, she thought. The sun was shining, her son was healthy, and with him the Grayson name would continue. She wished she could capture this moment on canvas. And while she and Daniel were looking for baby clothes, it started to rain...