♠︎ Chapter 27 • Sleeping on the Sidewalk ♠︎

Bi-Curious
Chapter 27
"Sleeping on the Sidewalk"

Ethan

Bottle after bottle, smoke after smoke. After the fight, I'd gone straight to a bar, my bar, and gotten wasted. I'd started three bar fights before the owner dragged me upstairs to his apartment and dumped me on the couch.

Thank god he knew me. He let me stay over the few nights I was away from Charlie in a drunken haze. He bought me cigs and gave me booze. I'll owe him big for that, but I couldn't care less at the time.

After our second fight, I'd returned to the bar and gotten drunk all over again. Owner asked me what was wrong and I threw a bottle at his head before storming out and taking my bike. I guess that's how I ended up here.

I open my eyes to a blinding light and hiss, my whole body in pain. "Gah, what the fuck?"

"Language, Ethan!" A woman berates me and I frown.

Mom?

The light clicks off and is replaced by a stranger's face. "Thank god you're awake, Mr. Dechart." The stranger shakes his head and pats my shoulder. I wince and feel a body crush mine.

I look down and see Ry crying his eyes out into what looks like a hospital gown. I focus on the stranger again and realize he must be a doctor. "What—"

"You were in an accident, Ethan." The voice from before, who I'm now positive is my mother, tells me soothingly. "To think, we'd just gotten moved in and the first call I get is from a hospital telling me my boy almost got himself killed, again."

I look down at myself. My arm and one of my legs are in casts and my body is covered in cuts and bruises along with a few gashes. My head aches like the hangover from hell and I groan. "I'm sorry, Ma."

"You were drunk, Ethan." She grabs my hand and squeezes. "You know better than this, what the hell happened?"

That's when it all comes crashing down on me again and I can't hold back my tears. Everyone rushes forward to comfort me and I just lay numbly in the bed, sobbing my eyes out. I can't feel their comfort or their love.

The only comfort I want is his.

I don't even know what happened. I tried to make sense of it, I really did, but Charlie threw accusations at me with every word and I didn't have time to defend myself, much less understand him, before he'd stormed off again.

I don't know what to do but I know he doesn't want me. Whatever I did, it broke us and he hates me now.

I hate me too.

Ryder stays with me long after the family leaves, both of us silent as I stare straight ahead, my chest twisted into knots.

I just wanted to be there for him, but he wouldn't tell me why he couldn't let me. He can't expect me to fix something if I don't even know what's broken.

Well, now I'm broken. And who the hell knows what state he's in. He can't yell at me for leaving when he's the one who told me to go. That first night, I'd always intended to go back, but he just kept putting words in my mouth, he wouldn't listen, he'd spiral into some state of mind I couldn't possibly understand, and then threw me out like the latest in his line of deceived whores.

I bet the others loved him too and that's why he got rid of them, why he got rid of me, because for some unknown reason, he can't stand the thought of being loved.