♠︎ Chapter 49 • Soul Brother ♠︎

Bi-Curious
Chapter 49
"Soul Brother"

Ethan

The next few days after the picnic are uneventful since it went so well. I've been trying to work extra hours so I can afford Charlie's ring. He doesn't like that.

Especially because on days like yesterday, I come home and collapse into bed immediately, unable to spend time with him. I only do that once a week though, I couldn't bear it if I did that to him every night.

So when I wake up, I fully intend to spend the day with him, but after checking my phone, that plan flies out the window.

Xander: Help.

I read the time sent.

"4:18 AM."

It's currently a quarter till noon. Fuck.

Worried, I pick up my phone and call him.

"Hi, this is Xander. Please leave a message unless you're a telemarketer."

"Dude, please call me back and let me know if you're okay." I say then hang up, tapping my foot. Xander wouldn't just ask me for help unless there was a big problem.

I start spam texting him.

I'm left on read for a while until I see the bubbles come up just to disappear. Two minutes pass and it happens again. He's typing, but he keeps stopping.

Xander: Don't call Ry.

My brows furrow.

Ethan: why not? what's going on? are you okay? do you still need help, i can come right away

Xander: I don't want him to see me like this. You don't have to come if you don't want to. I'm just used to having someone helping me. It's whatever.

Ethan: it's no problem, charlie and i can come rn

Xander: I don't know if I want Charlie. I don't want to stress him out. He's still in recovery.

I bite my lip, but I have to agree. Charlie deserves some peace right now.

Ethan: i'll come alone then. anything you need me to bring?

Xander: Um. Kinda.

Ethan: what

Xander: Don't tell Ryder. Just bring crackers and real ginger ale if you can. Maybe a movie.

Ethan: okay on my way

I really don't like that he's keeping secrets from Ry. If anything, Ryder should be helping him through this, supporting him like I know he would.

I sigh and get dressed, shoving my phone in my pocket and leaving the room. "Charlie, baby?"

He tackles me and kisses my face. "You're up! I made breakfast!"

I kiss him back and smile nervously. "Thank you so much, love, but I actually was gonna go out for a bit."

Charlie deflates. "Can I pack it for you?"

"I'd love that." I smile and kiss his forehead before getting up and going to the pantry. We have crackers and I can grab a ginger ale at a gas station. I pull out the package and tuck it under my arm before returning to Charlie.

"It should only be a couple hours, I'm going to hang out with Xander. It was a last minute thing." I explain to soothe any anxieties he might have.