when the party's over | kageyama tobio | angst songfic

Start from the beginning

"don't you know too much already?"

  day 2, recess. you sit at the same table as him.

  "eh? i think (y/n) is the best looking in her class!" hinata says loudly. you look up at the sound of your name and smile.

"you crazy?" you laugh.

"where do y'all think kageyama lies?" noya stands up and points at the raven-haired setter.

"hmm... second to the bottom. he's annoying and makes me angry but he plays volleyball well!"

"seems like hinata is the only one commenting on this," sugawara laughs.

"damn hinata, (y/n) at the top and dumping kagayama at the bottom, what a show," ennoshita chuckles.

"woi, woi, woi! noya and i are clearly the best! don't you think, (y/n)?" the two boys pull smug faces.

"what do you think on (y/n), kageyama?" sugawara asks.

"i used to think she liked me."

you freeze. what?

"i'll only hurt you if you let me"

  "it's not like she's going to fall for this arrogant idiot." a foreign voice said, walking past.

  his smile fell.

  "i think kageyama's fine, but i- i don't like him."

  oh, the lies.

"call me friend but keep me closer."

  he looked beyond hurt on the way up to class. and you kept quiet, for you didn't think you possessed the right to comment.

  or maybe, you were just scared you'd hurt him.

"call me back"

  skipping class again, kageyama tobio.

"and i'll call you when the party's over."

  he was many things, kageyama tobio. he could leave a harsh comment in the coldest manner but still apologise with the sweetest tone.

he could ruin your day, brighten it, make you smile, cry, scream, whisper and laugh. he had you all tied around his little finger and even the slightest shiver would move mountains for you.

and you would think

please don't leave.

"i could lie, say i like it like that, like it like that"

way back home, rain, fog, soggy hair, no umbrella.

you were walking to the bus stop a kilometre away in the rain. and as i stated, no umbrella.

  didn't you love the rain? it was as if a million butterflies were crying down. you stop in your tracks and look up. kageyama tobio, if he was to come to you, what would he say?

"i could lie, say i like it like that, like it like that"

  you look down again, tears in your eyes but concealed by the tears around you. you sigh and continue walking.

  "(y/n)? you're going to catch a cold, do you want to share an umbrella with me? we're going to the same bus stop." ah, kageyama tobio.

  the umbrella's shadow covers your head. you look up at him.

"but nothing is better sometimes"

  so this was the boy you met to lose. tall, cold, sweet, dumb, insecure, charming, adorable.

"once we've both said our goodbyes"

  he drops you at the bus stop and you thank him ever so quietly. he bows back before running to the other side of the stop.

  you didn't want to meet people just to lose them, you didn't want amazing people walking into your life every single die just to fucking leave.

  you wanted someone that wanted to stay. but you wanted kageyama tobio, and he wasn't staying.

"let's just let it go"

  kageyama tobio. the one mistake you made. bringing you on rollercoasters every single second of your life.

"let me let you go."

  and you begged yourself every night, let him go. every smile he'd given you, every laugh he'd caused, every tear he'd pulled out, you prayed they would disappear into thin air.

  and you wondered, were you ever the last thought on his mind before he slept? ever?

  it hurt, it fucking hurt.

"quiet when i'm coming home and i'm on my own."

  so to kageyama tobio,

"i could lie, say i like it like that, like it like that"

  you chose to gave him up against your will.

"i could lie, say i like it like that, like it like that."

  there will always be some you wish entered your life earlier, some later and some,

  never at all.