Chapter 21

"I leave tomorrow."

"I know."

They're sat next to Dan's pool, the sun burning down onto them. It was hotter than Phil was expecting for a mid March day but he wasn't going to complain since London is way colder.

"I don't want to leave."

Dan turns on his side on the lounge chair and lets out a slow smile. "I don't want you to go either."

"I wish Louise gave me more time off than just a week."

"You should just quit..." Dan says. "And then stay here with me for a while and then we can go back to London and..."

"I can't." Phil says. "I can't quit the BBC."

"Well, I know that." Dan says. "But I wish we could spend more time together."

"We'll just have to make up for it today."

Dan let out a laugh and sat up in his chair, throwing off the tank top he was wearing and letting it land on the side of his chair. "Let's go swimming."

Suddenly, Dan was pushing down his shorts and was stood naked on the edge of the pool. Phil sputtered but sat up slowly as Dan jumped into the pool and submerged himself before coming up to the side and pushing his water slicked curls off from his face. "You coming?"

"Like skinny dip?"

Dan nodded.

Phil stood up from the chair and slowly undressed, still feeling a bit insecure at being so out in the open. He's never done something like this before but there was something about Dan that was made him do things he wouldn't normally do.

He walked to the edge and slowly jumped in, feeling the cool water hit his skin. He swam his way back up to the surface and was met by Dan laughing at him.

"What type of jump was that, old man?"

"Old man?" Phil teased. "I'm not that much older than you."

"Hmmm?" Dan said, swimming over to Phil and wrapping his arms around Phil's neck. "Maybe you've been lying about your age to me?"

Phil scoffed. "Maybe you have been?"

"Oh you're right. I'm really a 53 year old undercover cop."

Phil threw his head back and let out laugh. "I would never believe that one."

Dan pouted. "Oh am I not manly enough to be 53 and a cop?"

"Sorry, baby, but no."

Phil doesn't know where the pet name came from but he watched Dan's face for any signs of discomfort or just general dislike. But instead, Dan's face lit up and his lips went back into the curve of a smile. "Oh, so I'm 'baby' now?"

"If you like it?"

Dan snorted. "It's a tad bit cheesy but I'll allow it." He paused. "As long as I get to call you old man."

Phil let out a loud laugh and pushed away from Dan to splash him.

Phil doesn't know how long they spent in the pool but majority of their time was spent splashing each other and messing around until Dan complained that he was hungry and wanted to go get food.

They both dried off and redressed in Dan's room before Dan called for a driver to take them downtown to this place that Dan said he was craving food from in this place called The Grove.

Phil thought that they were going to just grab food and leave like they had the other night but Dan insisted that he wanted to dine in and not take the food back to his house again.