Chapter 17: Who's Faster?

Start from the beginning

I knew he was trying to make a joke and so I made an effort, smiling over at him sarcastically. "Always there to make me feel better, John. Thanks."

"Anytime." He smiled, but then turned serious. "But seriously, do you feel any better?”

“Yeah I do, that nap I just took kind of helped.” I grinned up at him. It was true, yes.

“Well, that’s great. Get on the ice then. Might as well get in a good practice.” He smiled, but I could tell he was serious.

I smiled at him, “I don’t know. I think I scare people here.”

“Well, I think you should. If you want to get into the NHL these are people you might play with or against.” John did have a point.

“I understand,” I said. “But this isn’t my practice.”

“Well, hello there.” Someone else came up the runway. This one I had never met before, but recognized obviously. Scott Niedermayer was not only captain of the Canadian hockey team but he was one of the top defencemen in the NHL. It was strange to stand in his presence, having heard such great things of him. It was like Sidney Crosby.

He arrived in front of me, waiting for me to say something.

“Hi.” I smiled at him. “I was just leaving.”

“No, stay, please.” He insisted. “The coach won’t be here for a few more minutes, why don’t you play with us?”

I looked from Eric and John, and then back at Scott. “Sure. Why not?”

They all stepped onto the ice before me and I grabbed my helmet, looking over at the next person walking onto the ice. The very own Sidney Crosby, who leaned against the board and looked over at me, surprised obviously of my presence. “What are you still doing here?”

“I don’t know.” I said.

He smiled, “How do you feel? You went pretty hard last night.”

I sighed, very tired of hearing this. “I’m never gonna hear the end of that, am I?”

“Probably not. You were probably the funniest person I saw last night. And I don’t even think you remember talking to me.”

I thought back and he was completely right. Nothing. “Can you just not mention it to Nick? He flew in today and that’s the last thing I want him to hear that I’ve been doing.”

He nodded. “I’ll keep my mouth shut, but you let the others know.”

I sighed and put on my helmet, skating over to Scott, who almost looked like he was waiting for me. I frowned at him, unable to read his expression. “What are you thinking?”

“The one thing I’ve heard about you is your speed.” He said.

I nodded. I had heard that a lot of times before as well. “True.”

“Someone else who’s very good on the speed, people would only assume Sidney Crosby, but I’m not sure he’s the fastest one here.” He stared at me, and I smiled with a little laugh.

Sid came over next to me, and I looked at him, laughing. “You think I’m faster than Sidney Crosby? I have a hard time believing that.”

“Let’s race.” Sidney said, looking down at me. “We’ll see who’s the fastest then.”

I hesitated for only moment before I nodded. “Okay… sure.”

 I went towards the middle of the ice, and was aware that everyone was staring at us now. A few of the other players stayed on the bench and stared at us on the ice. I pushed Sid away from me as he was coming next to me, “You go the opposite way.”