Eight

Camila's POV

October 9th 2012.

Tuesday 8:50am.

Miami, Florida.

"You broke up with Shawn?!" Dinah shrieks at me the second she approaches me at my locker at school.

"Ssh!" I scold her immediately, self consciously looking around to make sure no one has just heard her outburst, it's not exactly public knowledge yet. "Not here!"

She just looks at me in disbelief before grabbing my wrist and literally dragging me into the girls bathroom down the hall.

"You, out!" she orders sternly to a freshman girl who was stood by the mirror. She looks a little startled but immediately does as Dinah says and I cringe slightly as she leaves and Dinah makes sure there is no one else in here before swinging around to face me. "You need to explain yourself Karla Camila
Cabello!" I grimace at the use of the first name.

"I just..." I trail awkwardly, not sure how I can actually explain myself here without telling her everything. "It just wasn't working."

"Since when?!" Dinah looks at me in complete astonishment. "I don't understand Mila, you and Shawn are perfect together! He loves you! I thought you loved him...what's the problem?"

"I don't know." I look down at the floor guiltily. "I just...I didn't feel that spark, you know?"

"No I don't know." She frowns at me confused. "Is there something else going on here? Because this seems so out of the blue and I just don't understand where this has all come from? Shawn is so heartbroken, Mila, and over anything else, he's confused. Michael and I spent the whole night with him last night consoling him, he's so upset, and he just doesn't understand why."

I look away guiltily, because it was never my intention to break Shawn's heart, but I just couldn't go on the way I was anymore. It wasn't fair to both of us. "Dinah I...I don't want to talk about this right now."

"What is wrong with you, Mila?" she asks me seriously, her forehead crinkling with worry. "Is this about the fire?"

"What? No." I immediately shake my head, wondering why she would even ask that question.

"Are you sure? Because I've read about things like this happening before, people who are involved in a near death experience start to act differently and go through some kind of post traumatic stress. If that's what this is then you need to tell me, let me help you! Let Shawn help you!"

I almost laugh. Post traumatic stress? Really? "It's not that, Dinah." I tell her firmly, resisting the urge to roll my eyes.

"Then what is it? Because Shawn is currently at home right now too upset to come to school and you don't seem to be upset in the slightest!"

"Of course I'm upset!" I defend myself immediately. "But I couldn't stay in that relationship when it wasn't right for me."

Dinah looks at me almost as if I'm a stranger and I gulp slightly, all for a sudden very much aware of how this one action could change everything right now. I'm not the girl who is supposed to break up with her boyfriend, Shawn and I were supposed to be one of those All-American sweethearts, who get crowned Prom King and Queen, go to college together and then get married and have three kids and live out our American dream until we grow old and die together.

Life isn't that simple unfortunately.

That life wasn't made for me, at least not with Shawn Mendes.

I know that now.

It's just a shame that I'm most likely going to be public enemy number one for the next couple of weeks for breaking the sweet handsome and popular quarterbacks heart.