One

Camila's POV

September 3rd 2012.

Monday 8:20am.

Miami, Florida.

"Morning sweetheart." My Dad leans down and kisses me on the cheek as I bounce into the kitchen Monday morning, my cheer leading uniform on show as I push some of my long brown hair from my face.

"Good morning Daddy." I smile back happily as I move past him towards the jug of freshly made orange juice that was left on the side counter.

"Someone is in a good mood today." My Dad eyes me with a smile as he picks up a newspaper and slides it under his arm, the other holding out a mug of what I know will be steaming hot coffee. "I thought you teenagers were supposed to hate the first day back at school."

"Well not me Daddy, I couldn't be more excited to see all my friends again and swap summer stories." I grin, looking forward to starting my junior year because it just means I am one step closer to being a senior.

"Well I wish your sister would be a little bit more enthusiastic, it took your mother almost an hour to get her out of bed this morning."

"Where are they anyway?" I ask curiously, knowing that our family kitchen is usually in a small state of chaos at this time of a morning, especially during term time.

"Mom took Sofi in early for morning detention." Dad rolls his eyes slightly and I scrunch my eyebrows together confused.

"Morning detention? How? School hasn't even started yet!"

"You remember the glued chairs prank in the faculty office on the last day of school last May surely?" my Dad smiles a little and realization crosses over me. "Well, the principle called us yesterday to remind us that Sofia would not be going unpunished just because there was vacation right after." He sighs. "That girl, I hope she has learned her lesson and stays on the right path this year."

"I doubt it." I murmur quietly, knowing how much my sister likes to break the rules lately, much to my parent's dismay.

"Well she's not a freshman anymore, Karla, so she has to start taking her classes more seriously. High School is important, it leads to college, it's not a place to mess around for four years with your friends."

"You don't need to tell me that, Daddy."

"I know sweetheart." He smiles. "Sorry, I don't mean to take it out on you, it just frustrates me sometimes because she is such a smart kid with so much potential and she just throws it all away."

"She's still young, and she's a teenage girl." I remind him. "She'll grow out of it soon enough." And she believes it, her sister is a lot of things, and smart is one of them, she's not going to waste away in life and throw away her future because she's just not that kind of girl, she just wishes that her parents would remember that sometimes.

"I hope so." He shakes his head slightly before letting out a loud sigh. "You need a ride to school?"

"Nah I'm good, Shawn is going to pick me up." I watch amused as my Dad cringes slightly.

"Shawn? That still happening?"

I roll my eyes. "You know it is Daddy." I tell him pointedly and I watch as he shrugs slightly.

"I just don't think he's good enough for you."

"You think that about all the boys." I chuckle and watch as he lets out a small smile.

"Maybe, but only because it's true. Although, young Niall Horan has always been sweet on you, Karla, he's a handsome young man, comes from a good family."