107: The Most Wonderful Pie in the World, Ever

Adelaide nodded, overcome by the feeling of relief. She didn't need to hold it anymore, after a movie that had gone on longer than she expected by the time the bonus documentary was over. She let it go and felt her diaper flooding, maybe more than she ever had before. She could even hear the stream of pee spraying out, building up a puddle in her pants until the absorbent layer could soak it all up.

After holding it for so long, the final release felt amazing. She couldn't help smiling as Toni held her close and ruffled her hair. Somehow the big girl seemed even bigger today, but maybe that was just in her mind. It didn't matter, that wasn't something a baby needed to think about.

"You okay, Babe?" Toni asked, an eyebrow raised and one half of a smile making her mouth crooked.

"Uh-huh," Adi nodded eagerly. "I'm doing a wee."

"I can tell. Does it feel good?"

Adi didn't say anything, but just nodded and hugged her girlfriend closer. They stood like that in the lounge doorway for a whole minute, before Toni's hand ruffled Adi's hair again to get her attention.

"I can tell you're enjoying a nice hug," she said, "but I think you'd be a lot happier in a clean diaper, wouldn't you? Then we can try watching a movie together."

Another nod, and Adi was rushing up the stairs to her room. It already seemed like she actually lived here, and she couldn't think of it as the guest room anymore. She knelt on the floor and reached under the bed to pull out the big pack of diapers that Toni had helped her to stash there, what felt like a lifetime ago.

"Uh-uh," Toni tapped her on the bridge of the nose with one finger. "You're playing babygirl, right? So let Mommy sort out the grownup things. You can just lie back and relax."

Suddenly there was a plush giraffe in Adi's hands. It had been on the shelf in the corner as long as she'd been here, and she'd never considered moving it. But she had to trust what the grown-ups said, and Toni was being her Mommy today. So she hugged the bouncy little ball of fluff, and didn't resist as her girlfriend picked her up and deposited her on the bed.

Adi didn't know what she was supposed to feel, but that was too complicated to think about right now. Toni had given her a giraffe, and she wanted to make her Mommy happy. Whoever was Mommy, that was too complicated to think about as well. Life was very simple for a little baby, all she had to do was follow instructions. Just play with the giraffe, while strong hands carefully applied baby powder and some lotion to keep her skin healthy, and taped a soft, clean diaper tight around her waist.

"Come on, Princess," Toni tickled Adi's sides quickly to get her attention, and then grabbed her hands to lift her up to a sitting position. Adi wanted to protest, to complain that she didn't like being tickled, or that she didn't need any help to sit up on her own. But somewhere around the edge of her brain, she'd taken in the previous suggestion that she was supposed to trust the grown-ups to deal with any problems, and that meant she knew Toni had her best interests at heart. She didn't want to argue with somebody who knew so much more than her, so she just let Toni take charge.

She must have been paying more attention to the giraffe than she realised. When she looked down, she saw that Mommy had changed her clothes as well. Now she was wearing a little pink skirt with lace around the edges, that wasn't quite long enough to hide her diaper. And the diaper was cuter than the ones she was used to as well, with a patterned print of unicorns dancing between the stars. Not something Adi would have picked herself, but she was sure that the grown-ups in her life knew best.

Toni leaned closer, and gave her a gentle kiss on the cheek. Somehow that made Adi blush and grin as much as a proper kiss. She loved it when Toni held her so close, and right now she couldn't imagine anything that could make her happier. Toni hugged her a little tighter and then the world was moving. It had always been clear that the girl had a lot of strength, because she'd been able to carry her bikes around the garage when she was in the process of stripping down and rebuilding parts of them. But that fact never hit home for Adi until there was one muscular arm around her waist and the other on her shoulders, carrying her downstairs as effortlessly as she would a real baby. She could just melt into her girlfriend's embrace, and be sure that she was safe in those strong arms until they were both sitting on the couch again.

The movie was great. The plot was trite, and anybody over the age of six would have seen the twists coming a mile away, but to Adi it was hilarious. She didn't think about the story at all, and she never knew what might be coming next. She was thrilled when the white princess had to return to her temple, and she gasped in surprise when the mysterious Professor N pulled off his mask to reveal that he was none other than Doctor Nerk in disguise.

When the songs played she found herself dancing unsteadily across the floor, and wishing she had a guitar so she could play along. She learned the simple songs soon enough, and she wasn't embarrassed at all when the characters on screen started calling for the audience to join in. And when she didn't need to be on her feet to sing, dance, or leap around, she could settle down in Toni's lap, with Toni being a perfect girlfriend/Mommy and passing snacks, drinks, or anything else Adi needed before she even realised she wanted it.

By the time it was dark outside, the Adi felt the excitement of a small child fading away, to be replaced by just a little embarrassment about how easily her inhibitions had vanished when it was a part of watching the movie. And of course this realisation came at around the same time she noticed she needed to use the bathroom again, having finished another large cola (which, now she was paying attention, she saw had been served in a glass with a crazy straw protruding through a screw-on lid to prevent spillage).

She squirmed a little in Toni's lap, hoping she might not have to leave her seat just yet, but it was clear the movie was over.

"Getting uncomfortable?" Toni asked.

"A little."

"Was that fun?"

Adi started to nod and then stopped just as quickly. The answer was a clear 'yes', the whole experience had been amazing. The movie was lame and childish, the kind of thing she would have slated in her reviews if she was still writing about mainstream media. But she'd enjoyed herself immensely, and she was surprised to find that given the chance, she might have been willing to try it again. But she couldn't say that. She couldn't tell Toni that she'd enjoyed acting like a child, even if just for one night.

"It was... different," she hazarded after a lot of thought.

"Thank you. I know this was a bit of a weird thing to do, I just wanted to know if there was a way you could enjoy it. A silver lining in a stormy few weeks, or a bright side to look on. You were so cute, and I just hoped you might really be having as much fun as you hoped."

"I think I was," Adi mumbled, as if she was hoping her friend wouldn't hear. If she didn't, Adi would surely not have had the courage to say it again, but Toni squeezed her just a little tighter. "It was fun, okay? I've been dreading hearing my name for two weeks, and every time it's been a nightmare, even if I thought it was okay at the time. Or a few times it's been the lesser of two evils, something that I want to avoid at all costs just as soon as I can."

"I'm sorry, Babe. I didn't mean to–"

"No, don't be. Because tonight was different. I felt giddy, and giggly. Safe, and protected, and loved. And maybe I should be embarrassed about the things I did, but all I can think of is seeing you smile. Like a proud mom, with a little kid trying to sing and dance. Where did that even come from? I don't remember it being in the trigger phrase."

"I think you said you were going to enjoy it like a little kid. And you know how kids act when they're having fun. In the supermarket, in the street, anywhere you see kids you see them having fun. And they're never embarrassed to show it."

"I guess. It must be fun to be a little kid and not have any rules to follow. Scream your lungs out when you're excited. Like those toddlers at K-World, having the time of their lives, and everyone's glad to see them having fun."

"You'd like that, I think. Going on all the rides, gorging on cotton candy until you puke, not needing to think ahead."

"Yeah," Adi chuckled at the mental image, and there was a smile behind her sarcasm. "If you got some magic way to stop everybody noticing I'm not a real kid. But no, this has to be a private thing. No way am I ever being a baby like that around people I know, or people who'd think it's strange."

"We'll put the theme park visit on the back burner until you're old enough to enjoy it, then. And until I can work a miracle. For now, at home, with nobody else here, did you enjoy a chance to let loose?"

Adi thought slowly, carefully examining her own feelings. And she couldn't find a negative emotion, until she'd started thinking like an adult again. But more important, maybe, was the smile that lit up Toni's eyes as she looked down at her. That was a treasure worth more than anything, and Adi knew there was only one answer she could give.