Cheat Sheetz

Philadelphia, PA

One week later

Hao stood in line at the gas station with a phone to his ear and snacks for him and Aja in his arm. He was third in line, waiting patiently to buy these snacks and to tell the kind man at the register which pump he needed to get gas from.

"Yeah, I'll be by sometime this week mama," he said his goodbyes on the phone and slid it into his pocket.

The line moved up and now he was second in line.

He took this spare time to notice the guy in front of him. He was dressed like a million bucks. He had on white Air Forces, expensive-looking jeans, red shirt, and jewelry everywhere. Multiple gold chains around his neck, gold in his ears, and something that specifically caught Hao's attention...a gold watch on his wrist.

Hao caught a glimpse of the side of his face as he watched him step up to the counter. He looked very familiar. He was chocolate-skinned, hair in single braids, and mature facial features. He was almost 100% sure that he knew him, or at least came across him before. Hao couldn't figure it out fast enough where he knew him from, so he decided to make conversation as the guy paid for his items.

"That's a nice watch right there," Hao said with a smile.

The guy looked Hao in his eyes, but then looked away. "Thanks."

"Audemars?" Hao questioned. He used this opportunity to get a better look at his face.

The guy looked up and wasn't too fond of some random man asking him about his assets. To him that was a red flag.

"Nah," he simply replied. Hao sensed that he wasn't feeling him at all. All the while, he was digging deep into his memory to figure where the hell he knew this guy from.

The guy grabbed his bag of things he had just purchased, looked Hao up and down, then proceeded to walk out the door.

"Yo, do I know you? I swear I seen you somewhere." Hao stopped him, and surprisingly, the guy turned around.

Again, he looked Hao up and down as if he were scum. "You don't know me homeboy." He exited the gas station while shaking his head.

Hao put his snacks he was planning to buy on the counter, but watched as the mystery guy walked to his car. When Hao noticed that he was headed towards a candy red G-Wagon that was parked at the pump in front of his car, he almost dropped the money he was pulling from his wallet. His mouth was slowly dropping. Everything was clicking so fast!

"Stacy!" Hao shouted. He hurried down the steps of the church to get to the car she was about to enter through the back seat. There were two men occupying the front.

"Stacy don't you get in that car!" Aja shouted from behind.

But it was too late. Together they chased down the candy red G-Wagon, slapping the windows until the driver sped off, leaving them disappointed. Aja started crying and Hao pulled her in, letting her cry on his shoulder.

"Sir!"

Hao snapped out of his trance and noticed the cashier staring at him crazy.