Box

Philadelphia, PA

Jahlil opened the door to the front door of his apartment and frowned at the sight of Hao and Dwayne. Not a sad or an angry frown, but a frown that showed he wasn't expecting them at all.

"What y'all doing here?" He asked with the door a little more than cracked.

"Came to see how you was doing," Dwayne asked with a little bit of offense in his voice. "Its been almost 2 months since we heard from you."

Jah shrugged. "Just, ain't had not reason to come by I guess."

Hao and Dwayne both looked confused by his response. What did he mean by that?

"Can we come in bro?" Hao asked.

Jah opened the door with little hesitation and allowed them to enter. The boys looked around and discovered a sloppy mess; plates, trash bags, pop cans, clothes, shoes were everywhere. Sink was full of dishes and it smelled like a dirty teenage boy. They were baffled. Jah is the neat freak of the group of friends, so for his place to look like this was completely out of the ordinary

"What y'all been up to?" Jah asked while leading them into the living room.

Dwayne and Hao cautiously stepped over things to reach the sofa where Jah was. "Uhh, you know bro, working, living life," said Dwayne while scoping out the place.

"What about you though?" Hao asked.

"I been chilling."

"We can see that," Hao responded, as he and Dwayne took a seat.

"I see y'all still go live every Tuesday, that's dope." Jah gave a little smile and then began to do something on his phone.

"Yeah," Hao said. "It would be more dope if we had everybody there."

Jah chuckled. "I bet."

Seeing their friend like this was not a pleasing sight. They could tell that Jahlil was hurting on the inside, and he was proving it by letting his house look like the home of a pig, when normally, his house was the most clean.

"Do you miss her, at all?" Dwayne questioned.

Jah looked up from his phone for a quick second. "Miss who?"

"C'mon man, cut it out." Hao looked at him in all seriousness.

"Who, Stacy?" He replied then shrugged. "I mean, I miss her goofiness and the fun we used to have. But she wanted to do some hoe shit and I couldn't stop her."

"Look, you gotta know something about that ex of hers, right?" Hao asked.

He shook his head. "All I know is the nigga name is Jalen." He looked off as if he was pondering something hard. "I know she went to go be with dude. You know how females be when they cross paths with someone they got history with."

"Or," Dwayne intervened. "She could be in trouble, could be getting her ass beat every day, could be strung out on that shit... or worse."

"Get the fuck outta here with that, man." Jah waved his hand.

"I'm serious," Dwayne said. "And you need to get serious too. Clearly something's wrong when your girl tells you she's being forced to sell herself and just up and leaves while shaking in fear. Then you never see or hear from her again? She ain't been active on none of her social medias for 2 months? This make sense to you?"