I'm Hooked

"Jah! I'm not lying!" Stacy cried.

"You really tryna convince me that a nigga said he'd give you all them thousands of dollars in exchange for you becoming some hoe and you agreed to the shit?"

Stacy stood up and attempted to embrace him to ease at least some of the tension. "I did it for you."

"Move away from me with that bullshit," he said while gently moving her hands away.

Stacy sighed of frustration. Why couldn't he just make this easier? All she wanted to do was get some things off her chest and go back to the way things were between them, but I guess that's now how things work.

"Jahlil, everything that I just told you was the whole truth. I put myself in danger just so that you could walk again and this is how you treat me? Look I understand you're mad at me for lying to you about having an ex and about who paid your hospital bill, but you gotta look past your feelings for a minute and see where I'm coming from. I did it all so that I could see my boyfriend get up from that hospital bed and continue his purpose in life."

Jahlil's demeanor eased up and he took a breather. He believed she had a point. Although his mind was still going, he relaxed for a minute. Jah took a seat back down on the bed.

"Now," Stacy sighed as she took a seat next to him again. "I wanna get through this, I wanna work things out. I'm so sorry for lying to you. I hope we can move forward."

After a long moment to think, he took her hand in his. "Yeah. We have to. Because I don't wanna lose you. "

This made Stacy smile back and look down as if he were making her shy. Jah always made her feel like they were falling in love all over again. But then she started to feel dark once again, once the thought of repaying Jalen crossed her mind.

She cleared her throat. "Soo, he told me to wait for his call. I'm just gonna do this thing real quick so that we can hurry and get back to our lives. I'm tired of worrying about it and would rather just get it over with."

"Woah, pause." Jah interrupted, looking at Stacy as if he were looking at someone he didn't even know. "You not gone do it."

"Well what do you suggest I do?" Stacy asked, hoping for a great alternative.

"Umm, call the police. Sex trafficking is a federal crime." Jah responded as if Stacy should have known that already.

She rolled her eyes. "I can't call the police on him Jah," she said. "What evidence do I have? If the cops come knocking on his door they'll end up walking right back out and guess who Jalen is gonna come after..."

All of this information was hitting Jahlil too fast for him to understand her fully. These types of topics never crossed his mind, and the fact that Stacy was somewhat involved shocked him to the fullest. "You talking about him like this nigga the mafia or something. This is why you don't hold secrets about your past relationships 'cause I need to know this type of shit. How did you even start dating a pimp anyway? What were you doing?"

She sighed, "Jah, cut it out okay? I wasn't dating a pimp."

"That's what he sound like...a pimp."

"Ok, look" Stacy cut him off, all while preparing to tell the infamous story of how she met the mysterious Jalen. "I was 18 in high school, soon to graduate. One of my friends, Taymar, had a brother that all of the high school girls liked for years. No one really saw him up close because he didn't hang with us younger folks, (he was 22 at the time) all people saw was him coming to pick up Taymar in his candy red G-Wagon, and occasionally he'd come to the basketball games with his friends. I didn't even realize that I had an advantage that every girl wanted because I was close so Taymar."