Caught Up

"Y'all seriously gone do this?" Hao asked, looking back and forth between Stacy and Jahlil on opposite sides of Greater Love Church hallways

Stacy glanced at Jah with hurtful eyes, while he never bothered to look at her. She was taking this breakup extremely hard and couldn't think straight without him, same with Jah, but he had too much pride to show it. He was also still hurt by her actions, and couldn't even look at her the same. So avoiding each other wasn't as hard for him as it was for her.

When Hao didn't get an answer from anybody in VTP, he began to get frustrated.

"OK, imma need everybody to put their FEELINGS aside and to remember why we are here," he stated. "We are here to pay our respects to a grieving family who just lost a loved one and to give God the glory as a result. Need I also remind you that we are the highly anticipated performance today? Fifty percent of the people in that sanctuary right now know who we are and watch us on Facebook...how is that gonna make us look if we go out there like this? AND on top of that, Aja's grandmother is PAYING us to do it and this is y'all energy?"

"C'mon Hao, you know they're having relationship problems." Kendra sighed.

"Ain't no relationship," Jah said to her out loud, even for Stacy to hear and to be clear on where they stand.

Everyone shifted and bucked their eyes at that statement they knew was stabbing Stacy in the heart.

"So you say," Kendra said with authority. "This whole thing will blow over soon, once y'all learn to forgive and forget-talk about it, move on, leave it in the past, and never touch it again."

"I wish some people had that mindset," Stacy said under her breath, but surprisingly everyone heard her including Jah.

He looked up at her. "I wish some people had been real from the beginning."

Stacy rolled her eyes.

"See, no!" Hao intervened. "This is what we not about to do. What we finna do is wait here nicely and patiently for them to call our names, and when they do, we gone go out there and sing this song! Then go eat!"

"Look, how bout we just practice the song softly?" Aja suggested to keep the peace.

"Can we do that?" Hao looked between everybody with his arms out in question.

When he got slight nods from everyone in agreement, Aja started to count off, "1,2,3"

They sang as softly as they could to not disrupt the service taking place down the hall. It wasn't much to go over since they were just singing background to grandma Joy. But in the middle of practice, even after most of them thought it was going so well, someone did not agree.

"Somebody off key," Jah said, making everyone stop singing. They all either smacked their lips or sighed.

Stacy knew he was being petty just to hurt her feelings. She sensed he truly wanted to get back at her any way he could, and even though she deserved it, she didn't like how he was treating her one bit.

"Honestly Jah, fuck you. And I mean that." Stacy said.

"We still in church y'all," Dwayne finally spoke up.