22 | BAGGAGE

EDDIE

It was exceptional how you can go from knowing someone as a complete outsider to then being mindlessly charmed by them, and then pondering to yourself about how you even would've ceased to exist without them in your life. I was as sure as twopence knowing that I couldn't live without Laura at that moment, however odd it was to say that I loved her more than I loved anything else altogether. It was lean to the public eye since we were anything but starcrossed but with a deeper look, it was vice versa. 

The memory of the feeling of falling in love passed in a fleeting second, abandoning me in the here and now. Far away, near the hangar which housed the technologically advanced SHIELD Quinjet, Laura stood outside the ramp and dressed in all threadbare clothes and a loose jerkin hanging limply over a shoulder. My gaze was transfixed on the movement of her lips, how it pouted lightly and I had a sudden urge to kiss it, bite it and watch that crooked smile spread past her face. I knew I was fairly far for her to not notice me yet, but I could still see every memorized divot in her lips, enough for me to map out newfound seas and beyond. 

You sound like an infatuated prick, Eddie.

'Eddie.'

I was unable to form any words on with my mouth since I was fixated on hers. I didn't realize my feet had been steadfast on their pace to reach her, leading me nearer. My words were stuck to my throat when she called out my name again, this outlook in me failing to leave my system.

'Hey,' she said, her breaths expelling from those goddamned lips once again and however succeeding to render myself speechless. 'What's wrong?'

Say something, morsel. Anything.

Hoping to save me from the embarrassment instead of a stilled response, I spoke the first words that hit my tongue. We were amidst a crew of mightiest heroes, loading up the jet for takeoff and following my instincts did not do us any good. Anyone in a miles radius with superhuman hearing would've heard it.

'I'm in love with you.'

With that demure glimpse of hers which I had never come to appreciate till then splashed over her features, coating her cheeks with a bright red. She gazed around and when the others, except Wanda, acted oblivious to her glances, finally setting her eyes back on mine with a harsh nip of her lips. 

You're the biggest pussy ever.

'Fuck off, V,' I murmured under my breath, leaning my head to a side quickly. 'Just shut up for a while, please?'

Laura, flustered with attention, turned crimson in a second. It was odd to see a blushing Laur since she would be the one to roll her eyes and come up with a response which would most likely make me A, stupid speechless or B, kiss her breathless anyway.