4 | TEST

- T&B -

A few days ago . . .

That afternoon, the laboratory floor had quiet and shortcoming demeanor hanging around in the air. It was tense mostly because of the glum woman who sat silently on the edge of the springy bed, waiting for the intravenous dye to completely spread through her body. She'd brought the atmosphere of gloominess to the compound and Banner didn't dare question the once cheery reporter. He continued to tap at the skin on her arm and ridging the needle in deeper, but she was too endorsed in thought to hiss.

Laura didn't talk either. She looked out of the window, the usually excruciating pain somewhat numb today. Outside was the expanse of green, unusual from what she had grown used to. A bird cawed in the distance, swooping into the trees to greet the virescent shades. It felt refreshing to her eyes, her breathing rate slowing to a rest. 

'How am I doing?' She asked flatly when her doctor when she felt the needle leave her skin. Banner busied himself with a bandage to seal the wound on her arm and spoke with tight lips.

'I'm still learning about the entire outline of this,' he said. 'What you have is ersatz matter in your tracts.'

'Wait, my body,' Laura paused to soak the words in. This was something entirely different from what she was told. 'My body isn't doing this?'

'Yes,' he made a so-so expression. 'I haven't laid out what exactly it is but I'm willing to run a few more tests.'

Laura didn't want to ask this question but it was a necessity. Everything depended on his answer. Not everything but to her, it was the only thing.