8 | ENERVATE

- T&B -

'What is it doing to her?'

Tony saw her. Actually saw her, this time. How much a single organism had affected her when they were in the know all this time. They knew what it was, how all of this could have been avoided and cursed their ridiculous ignorance. He felt his insides tighten when she screamed again, for the tenth time in a minute and her call changing from it's the typical pitch to something too eerie. Too inhuman. 

'I'm trying to restrain her pain,' the red-haired woman delivered silently. Her eyes glowed scarlet with the use of her psionic abilities on Laura, her breaths relatively lowering. 'The organism is getting to her head.'

Wanda Maximoff was the first one he'd contacted after they'd given up their efforts in trying to extract the extraterrestrial from Laura's body. The young witch pitied Laura's state when Tony elaborated on the situation, willing to lend a helping hand and looking past the indifference. She was positive her Captain would be disappointed but she was in this to save a life. Wanda continued to implement her powers on the struggling woman's mind, trying to bring her pain to rest.

He felt his insides tighten when she sharply screeched again, looking away instantly. The transparent fiberglass was to contain the organism from escaping rather than contain the host. They were clueless as to how to remove the alien from her system, Banner pressing his fingers to his feeble eyes with every scream of help she gave out. They'd strapped down the insanely strengthened woman to the bed with cuffs, the formerly blackened smudge across her chest spreading to her neck in a span of hours. And with every ascension of the organism's tendril up her body, she spasmed into shock.

'It's killing her, Tony.'

'Aren't you the prophet,' he said drily. 'Yet, here we are doing nothing.'