11 | BREAK

LAURA

The Daily Globe headquarters was a concrete wonder. Being one of the biggest newspaper companies in New York and currently immersed in a head-on rivalry with the Daily Bugle, it flaunted a thirty-five story glass structured marvel and top-paid successful columnists cum news-reporters. They set the standards for best critics and reviews hence rejected my application for a two-month internship with them. But who was I kidding, I knew rookie me didn't stand a chance. 

With that being said, Eddie Brock was a prized possession to them; chiefly because of the sour honesty he owned and his mind-blowing series of scoops that he wrote for the newspaper. Subsequently, their TRP rating shot through the stratosphere after the former investigative show, the Eddie Brock Report. Following the whole Carlton Drake situation and rehiring, Eddie gave up the show and went back to working on his thrilling articles. Which I, till date, did not get.

'Why are we here again?' 

Eddie had his head down low as he ushered me into the elevator with a hand on my back. All the employees who walked in had noticed Eddie but kept their prying gazes somewhere else. That was how intimidating he was. To me, he was a cerebral peacenik. 'I'm here to gain some intel on Malik. You just tagged along.'

We are not his sidekick!

'We're not.' I rolled my eyes and leaned onto the steel railing of the rising elevator. It paused on every floor, some moving in and others out. I found myself wedged between the wall and Eddie's chest. The balding, chubby man in a sleek suit right in front of the door looked so familiar.

He's got a lot of flesh . . . we must have him.

'Oh, God.' I murmured. 'I'll get something more appetizing to eat.'

He looks appetizing. 

'Stop talking. Just please, stop talking.'

Eddie nudged my elbow. I looked up and saw him mouthing, 'Is it Sin?'  I nodded without hesitation and rubbed my stomach, signifying his hunger. A short chuckle burst out of him. 

I continued to stare at the back of the familiar man's head till I gasped softly and realized who it was. Tugging on Eddie's arm savagely, I tiptoed to murmur into his ear. 'Is that the Barney Buskin?'

A tiny smile broke out on his face when he whispered back. 'Yeah, that's my boss.'

I tiptoed again. 'Would it be the wrong time to sweet talk him into giving me a job offer?'

I was relieved knowing there was no chance Bushkin would've heard it with my expert whispering skills. Eddie's grin widened when he brushed his lips over my ear. 'He ain't worth your time. You should work for me, though. I'd definitely hire you.'