16 | REVERT

EDDIE

That's when I knew I'd taken the wrong decision. To let her walk away on me with some bullshit excuse on taking a break.

 Why would I want to reconsider a relationship with the best thing that had happened to me after Venom? What sort of stupid fuck screws up on the woman he couldn't help but love?

It had taken all my willpower to agree to the arrangement. I'd seen the tears on her face and yet I said yes. Laura sobbing? Even the devil couldn't make her cry. She was solid as foundation and headstrong in what she wanted, accepted the hits that came at her. If she did cry, she wouldn't do it in front of me. Laura lost her job and yes, she cried but it was because it was the most humane thing to do. I let her off the hook for that.

It could've been minutes, hours or minutes that felt like hours but I did not move from the kitchen. I couldn't. I walked around the kitchenette, wracking my head over my impulses and just wanting another voice to back me up. At times like this, Venom was missed, that bastard.

Pulling at my hair, I wondered about where she could be at ten in the night. The poor thing didn't even money on her, just her scooter which I didn't even know if she were in the right mind to drive. She said she'd rent out a place in a motel. A fucking motel filled with filth incomparable to my apartment? Laura would go nuts. Of course, she wouldn't have gone there. Maybe May's for sure.

The spare keys she left on the counter stared right back at me. My bike keys was a few meters away, dangling right beside my door and glinting me, coercing me to take it.

Just one drive. I could.

'What matters is you, Ed. I'll figure something out.'

I convinced myself with it. Laura will figure something out. She was predictable. She wasn't reckless and arrogant like me. She was accommodating, she'd know what to do. She was willing to give me space and give me time to think. She took care of others, she will be okay. What would Venom say to this?