8 | ANOTHER

LAURA 

A painful groan left my lips with a hurtful curse as I used all my effort to pull myself off the ground. Before I could get to my knees, a force inside me pulled me up to my feet and walking me across the lab at a pace I could only dream of leading. It felt like I was a puppet and the alien inside me was the puppeteer.

This way.

A terrified scream broke out of me as I swerved past the massive piles of rubble, staggering into the darkness. I tapped fist over my chest, hoping it would calm my heartbeat. I calmed myself, knowing the boorish male voice was just a figment of my crazy imagination.

'Laur.'

I whipped my neck to the stranded figure on the ground. Eddie.

'Hey,' I murmured and rushed to him, fighting against the invisible ropes that pulled me to the ostracized hole above Eddie. His eyes were set on my every movement and even as I helped him off the ground. 'You're okay, Ed. You're fine.'

Who's this guy?

I resisted the urge to shriek, once again. Who the hell was saying that?

'I'm not,' he shook his head when I tried to wrap my arms around him. 'That blue dude just took my symbiote. It took away my friend.'

'Eddie,' I whispered and rubbed his shoulder. 'Calm down.'

'No,' he hissed and shrugged off my touch. 'I'm nothing without Venom, okay? That parasite was keeping my shit together - he was - '

I widened my eyes when his knees gave up on him, his heavy figure crumbling into my chest. I was surprised at the strength I amassed, enough to hold up a heavily-built man on his feet. My arms locked around his wide shoulders, containing him against my chest, 

'Babe, you're not anything with Venom. You'll still be my Eddie,' I mumbled into his hair and traced a hand down his back. 'And, you've still got a life without Venom. We can fix this.'

'He was keeping my health in check, Laura,' he confessed in a small and hard voice. 'He was the one keeping me alive.'

Great, let's do him a favor and kill him.

I screeched at the horror in that sentence. Acting on impulse, I pushed myself away from Eddie and making his debility ridden body flor to the ground. He groaned at impact and crushed his arm to his chest.

'What the hell, Laur?'

My breaths came out in short pants. Bracing my hands in front of me in a surrendering motion. I took a farther step back. 'J-just stay away.'

'Babe, it's okay.'

'I could hurt you! T-the thing could hurt you!'

His tense gaze cleared with realization and became cordial. 'The symbiote? It spoke to you.'

I like this guy. He's smart.

'It speaks?' I whispered acridly to Eddie, stupidly thinking the alien in me wouldn't hear it. But it did. And, it got pissed.

I'm not an animal, Laura.

'It knows my name,' I blurted with fear and Eddie made a so-so face.

'It knows everything about you because it lives in your head,' he explained. 'It must have a name.'

Sin. We are Sin.

'We?' I said in a screechy tone. 'Who's we?'

'He means you and him. What is its name?'

'Sin,' I said, clipped. No, I didn't want any of this. I only wanted it to be flushed out of my system.

'Sweet name,' he commented. 'Damn. It's kinda' sexy, don't you think - '

Walking to Eddie, I clutched him by the collar. His brown eyes enlarged with surprise when he saw the tears in my eyes. 'Please, get it out of me. Please - !'

How dare you!

'Hey, calm down,' he rustled and held my face between his palms. I looked everywhere but him, scared of what I might do to him. 'Look at me, baby.'

 I willed my gaze on his. His brown eyes were refreshing, like the color of woods after a rainy day. A streak of blood ran down the side of his temple, wrinkling as his lips stretched to a thin line. 

'You won't hurt me,' he said. 'Trust me when I say it. Sin is your partner now, Laur. He's the one thing who you can trust.'