14 | TELL

EDDIE

At times like this, I missed having another voice in my head that injected some common sense in my head instead of working with impulsive. Being a no-nonsense and only thought dude, seeing my ex-wife at my apartment with sullen eyes was not exemplary.

'Anne?'

'Hi, Eddie. Can I come in?'

I was paralyzed neck and down. This was the woman I loved and the woman who broke off our marriage. The beautiful feisty blonde who I just couldn't bring myself to forget. Anne Weying. And this being the apartment I shared with Laura, my Laura, would be wrong to have Anne over.

'Y-yeah. Um,' I pulled the door open wider for her to enter. Anne was pensive with her walk, assessing her surroundings and taking in a deep breath. A few of Laura's courier boxes littered some corners, her baby pink blanket draped over the sofa with a scented candle that was alight from the night before. Again, Laura's handiwork. She made my hellhole seem ten times habitable with just some objects. 

'Laura's over?' She asked quietly, seeing the feminine whiz in the living room. I was happy to know Laura wasn't all too hostile towards Anne and vice versa, but Laura had her self-doubts. And, she hid them pretty well from me. Then again, which girl wouldn't so I tried to get myself to open as much as I could with Laura. She was one in a million after all.

'No, she's out for - '

'I meant, is she living here?'

I nodded suavely, pocketing my fists. 'Yeah. I asked her to move in.' I sighed and walked to the fridge, tugging it open. 'Want something to drink? I've got OJ, milk and coconut water.'

 Anne's amused laughter filled the silence. 'Coconut water? Jesus, Eddie. I've never seen anything other than beer and leftovers in here.'

I couldn't help but grin. 'Laura can't tolerate her alcohol. And she practically lives off that murky shit. But I've got a stash of beer if you want some.'