9 | BOND

LAURA

'You're fired, Miss Sharp. I'm sorry but we can't have you putting our company at stake with your recklessness.' 

I fought against the anger that managed to drug me that entire afternoon. Eyes followed me everywhere, even as I gathered all my articles from my desk and murmurs hit my ears about my drunken actions. The symbiote in me stirred in me, wanting blood and gore on its hands. I ignored it, its every poisoned whisper in my head was one step closer to disclosing a secret. How much ever I wanted to send Barnum's head through a wall.

'Brock's girlfriend, right? Shit man, she's got a tough night ahead of her.'

'Yeah, I can feel it. Eddie's single, again.'

It hurt so much because none of the friends I made at my workplace stepped up to help me out and bid me farewell. Even as I looked over my shoulder to meet Shin's curious gaze, she whipped her neck back to the computer and typing furiously. That was the hoax of the sector I worked in. All of them cared too much about their reputation. About what would happen to their future if they associated themselves with a screw-up.

Ducking my head low, I stepped into the elevator and leaving my dream-job with a heavy heart. The brown crate in my hands weighed a ton with my graduation photo that laid at the top of the stack, staring into me mockingly. Tapping out of the entrance and crossing security, my heart rate increasing as more eyes followed my exit. 

A gentleman pushed the glass doors open for me, sending me a sympathetic smile at the boxes in my hands. Anyone would know. Damn all the stereotypical brown cardboard boxes that made employees ex-jobs hell.

My phone buzzed in my pocket. Without answering it, I knew who it was. I chose to ignore just like the rest of the world.

My god, you're a sore loser.

I fisted my hands in annoyance. Sin was being a pain in the ass. I purposely ignored his every sentence that managed to rile me up and slowly paddled on the sidewalk. 

'Laura, wait up.'

No. If Eddie came anywhere close, my maidenly instincts would flood through my high walls and ultimately, make me a sobbing mess. 

'Go away.' I said in a clipped voice.

'Hey, hold on a second,' he breathed out toughly and caught up to me. His warm hand fell over my shoulder, spinning me around. Eddie's face paled when he saw the box between my hands and the pages of the report of transmittal in blaring red letters.

'Holy shit, Laur. I'm so sorry.'

'I guess we both are even now, huh? You lost Venom and I lost my job,' I said dryly, trying to inject failed sarcasm into the foolhardy state. Eddie shook his head sadly and pulled the box out of my hands, dropping it on the sidewalk.