26 | BARGAIN

LAURA

'Everyone's got secrets. Yours is very valuable to me which is why I'm extending a hand.'

There was no denying Tony Stark was a nosy bastard. Whatever Stark tech business he had going on had somehow gathered intel by intruding into my health reports. Everything related to the procedures Keith Malik had conducted on me for finding out the condition of destabilizing lungs. So this was what every rich person does.

Attack them individually by showing them their literal death notes.

I set my eyes on the holographic screens that showed my MRI scans that they had collected from the recent tests run when I had passed out. Most of the conically shaped pair of organs had a red lining over them spreading from the trachea to the nerve-like endings on the tertiary branches. My name was plastered on the side suddenly seeming too important under my gaze. I looked away with guilt.

'You hacked my records?'

'It's the twenty-first century,' Stark reprimanded. 'No one says hack anymore.'

I didn't answer, my teeth catching my lips with nervousness.

'Typical. Brock doesn't know, does he?'

'I don't see how that concerns you,' I scoffed, thinking of Eddie's eyes suddenly. 'Might as well hand him cyanide while telling him the news.'

'Take it easy,' he said flatly. 'I'm not asking you to sign off your soul. I have a few tests I want to run. Work with what you've got. See what I can do.'

'Are we talking about human experimentation?' I asked sceptically. 'You want me to a guinea pig in your mad science practices?'

'You're not as tough as you think, Laura,' Tony said with evident displeasure. 'I had an electromagnet elbowed into my ribs when I tried to help the world. I saved, designed and I created. Bigger things than you think. I know what you've been through and I want to help. That man outside,' he waved to the door, 'he's like your Elle Preece. And I just want to help.'