22 | TWO

LAURA

'So, Pete,' I started. 'Is it okay if I call you - '

'Um, yeah. I mean, Mr. Stark calls me that.'

My inner fangirl surfaced and I knew my eyes shone as bright as the stars. 'Stark? You've met him?'

'I kinda work with him,' he said with a proud smile and a smile stretched across my face with awe. He seemed to rustle with the contentment and squared his shoulders.

We were on our way back to the hotel which I didn't know how to get back to and Peter was a little darling who insisted on dropping me off. Partly because he wanted to meet Eddie and partly because he wanted to be a young gentleman. I was interested in his powers and he had passionately explained the mechanics of his web-shooter. I'd lost him after 'spinneret mechanism' but kindly smiled as he spoke.

'So, is Mr. Brock meeting us here?'

Before I could answer, I felt a cutting pain wedge through the underside of my abdomen and making me clutch the material of my blouse tightly. A groan slipped out of me.

'Laura? Holy - you okay?'

I lost my balance, bracing myself against the hotel lobby's window sill and heaving deep breaths. 'What is it?' I hissed at Sin lowly.

I've been meaning to tell you. There's a foreign entity that has been in you for a while now.

'A what?' I blast, looking up at a worried Peter with wide eyes. 'Like a tapeworm or something?'

It lives within you. But, it doesn't have a mind like me.

'The hell is that supposed to mean?' I growled and groaned again as I felt the foreign entity turn in me. Ugh, even I called it like something out of an encyclopedia.

'Should I call an ambulance?' Peter flusteredly asked. 'Laura, listen - '

'No!' I denied with a wave of my hands. 'I'll figure this out myself. Go home, Pete. I'll call you when I need you.'

'But - '

'No buts, kid. Get home, right now and don't talk about today to anyone, okay?'