Chapter 30- The Ocean of Humanity

*Not Edited*
____________________

"The moment Mal and I were pulled under water. It really did feel like a thousand knives all over the body. But we were determined to make it out alive."

Mal and Ben felt the suction of water pull them down, but they didn't let go of each other. But the water disagreed as the suction pulled Ben away from Mal. She waved her hand around, but eventually kicked to the surface, and gasped for air when she reached it.

When the young woman made it to the surface, it was a chaos of screaming and thrashing people. Over a thousand of them floated where the ship once stood, some gasping for air, praying, and especially screaming for help from the lifeboats.

"Ben!" she yelled over the screaming people. She swam through the freezing water, not knowing where to going with no land nearby, calling out his name. A man near her, who didn't have a lifebelt saw he approaching, without thinking, he senselessly climbed on her, desperately trying to get out of the water.

Mal attempted to push him away, but she could see anything with the splashes of water when she would come out to the surface. She called out for Ben again, and he appeared from the crowded.

"Get off her!" He roared at the man. Ben punched the man in the face and pulled Mal away from him.

"Where do we go?" Mal asked.

"Follow me!"

They swam or rather tried to since it was difficult to with the lifejackets. They broke away from the people, trying to find anything that can keep them afloat and out of the water.

All around them was the continuous sound of screaming and moaning. Beyond that, there was nothing but black water stretching to the horizon. The sense of hopelessness is overwhelming

"It's so cold," Mal said, her voice shivering.

"I know," Ben replied. "Help me look for something, anything that might help get out of here,"

They looked around, and Mal saw something that looked suitable to hold them.

"Over there," She pointed out. Ben looked, and they both swam to it. It was a piece of wooden debris. He pushed her up, and she laid on it. Yet, when Ben tried getting on, the wood tilted and almost dumped Mal back to the water.

"It won't hold us both," Ben sighed. He looked around, and then down to his lifejacket, coming up with an idea. He began to untie his jacket, handing Mal two of the straps. She watched in confusion but trusted him. Ben went under the water and soon appeared from the other side of the debris.

"Tie the straps together," He instructed her. Though her hands were freezing, she moved quickly to tie them together. When she finished, he slowly climbed on the wood again. It didn't tilt or sink. He climbed until his entire body. The wood was able to hold them both with the lifejacket underneath them.

"You're brilliant!" Mal gasped. The two huddled together, trying to stay as warm as possible in the freezing Atlantic.

Ben turned his head, seeing an officer blowing his whistle. "The boats had to row away to get away from the suction. They'll come back for us, Mal. Hold on just a little longer."

She nodded and continued to shiver. They could still hear everyone calling out for help to the lifeboats that rowed away from the ship.
*****************************

"We've got to go back," Molly said, hearing the screams of the people in the water.

"They'll pull us down if we go back,"

"Knock it off, you're scaring me." She replied, and turned the rest of the ladies in the boat. "Come on, grab an oar."

Nobody moved, they simply looked down and huddled in the blankets.