Chapter 14- Dinner with Royalty

*Not Edited*

_____________________________

*April 13, 1912*

Ben led Mal and her friends down to the dining room, where they met a few more of the most famous of the first-class passengers. They were nervous but never showed it. Everyone assumed they were one of them, sole heir to their family fortune perhaps. We were seen as new money, but we fit right in.

Everyone sat at the table. There was the four new guest, Ben and his family, Audrey, Chad, Mr. Andrews, and Mr. Ismay.

"How are the conditions in steerage, Ms. Dawson?" Adam asked. "I hear they're well on this ship,"

Mal forced a smile and answered honestly. "The best I've seen, sir. Hardly any rats."

The table laughed, thinking it was a joke. Mal chuckled, as did Evie, Jay, and Carlos. Adam continued, "They're joining us from the third-class. They were of some assistance to my son last night."

Everyone began eating, while the lower-class could decide which silverware to start with. Molly pointed out which, outside and move your way in. The waiter soon made it the four guest, starting with Evie, and asked if she'd like any caviar.

"No, gracias," (No, thank you)

"She never really like it much," Mal explained. "Same for me,"

Ben smiled, while his father continues with his questions. "Where do all exactly live?"

"Right now, our address is the R.M.S. Titanic," Carlos answered. "We each have our own little plan when we make it to America,"

"How is it you have means to travel?"

"I actually grew up in London," The young man continued. "so I just hitched a ride on a train to get a ticket to this boat,"

"I am from a little town outside of Chicago," Jay said after. "I left after I lost my parents, then got on a boat that took me to England, which is where I met Carlos,"

"I am actually from New York," Mal explained. "I left that place and worked my way from place to place, occasionally selling my drawings for money. I got a boat ride to Paris, then ended up in Spain, where I met Evie. From there we worked our way up to Southampton. There I actually won our tickets at a lucky hand at a good arm-wrestle. A very lucky hand,"

"A real man makes his own luck," Adam commented, taking a sip of his drink. "Right, son?"

Ben looked up and nodded. Bella, who was quiet up until now, asked: "And you find that sort of rootless existence appealing?"

Mal slightly shifted in her seat and said. "Yes, ma'am, I do. We all do. I have air in our lungs and a few blank sheets of paper,"

"We love not knowing what going to happen," Jay said. "Who we're going to meet, where we'll end up."

Everyone at the table stopped eating for a moment, listen to what the poor guest had to say.

"Just the other night," Evie continued. "Mal y yo estábamos durmiendo bajo un puente," (Mal and I were sleeping under a bridge)

"And now we're here," Jay said, taking a sip of her champagne. "On the grandest ship in the world, having a drink you fine people."

"Ben showed me that life is a gift, and now plan on not wasting it. You never know who's hand you get to help next. You take life as it comes at you. To make each day count."

"Well said," Audrey told them. She raised her glass, as did Ben. "To make it count."

Everyone did a toast, to make each day count, while Adam took another look at Mal. There was something vaguely familiar about her. He felt like he seen her somewhere before.

******************************************

Dinner was an incredible time, but like all good things, dreams have to end at some time. Soon all the men, except Ben, stood up from the table.

"Thank you all for the pleasure of your company," Mr. Ismay said to them.

"Care to join us?" Adam asked Jay and Carlos.

"It's alright," Jay replied. "We should be getting back,"

"That fine. We'll only be discussing politics and such. Wouldn't interest you,"

The four third class stood up from the table, thanking the remaining for the dinner. Bella got up and went to her room.

Ben, Audrey, and Chad were left alone at the table, when Molly, who finished her meal last, handed a note to Ben.

"Make it count," He read aloud. "Meet us at the clock by the stairs."

He looked up. Without hesitation left the dining room, with his fiance and friend close behind him.

They walked up the stairs to the Grand Staircase, seeing the four standing on top, looking at the time. She turned to the three rich passengers and grinned.

"Do you want to go to a real party?"

_____________________________

Author's Note-- I, for some reason, have like a flood of ideas for my stories in my mind. I will try to update one of my stories at least once a week (or at least once a month). Let me know if your waiting for another one of my stories to be updated.

!!!Thanks for Reading!!!